News Report

Iorras Aontaithe made a return to Junior soccer today with a 3-0 win over Fahy B

News Report

Weekend Review - 4th/5th March


Conn Rangers put four past Ballyheane on a momentous night in Pat Quigley Park, as Ballina Town, Castlebar Celtic and Kiltimagh/Knock Utd all won for the second week in a row in the SuperLeague

Elverys Sports Super League

Ballyheane welcomed newly promoted Conn Rangers to Pat Quigley Park on Saturday evening as they held their first ever match under lights. A big crowd witnessed a very impressive performance from Conn Rangers who shocked the Super League Champions with a 4-1 win in a dominant performance. Liam Durkan gave them the lead shortly before half-time and PJ Gilmartin doubled their advantage with fifteen minutes to go only for Ben Edeh to respond for Ballyheane a minute later. The fourth goal was going to be crucial and it came the way of Conn Rangers when Colm Rutledge struck an excellent goal and Durkan wrapped up the win as he hit his second of the day in the final minutes.

On Sunday afternoon Daniel Gorman hit a late winner for Ballina Town as they had a 3-2 win over Westport United in a pulsating game in Belleek as Westport fought back from going 2-0 don to level matters in the second half but it was Alan Henry’s side that took all three points with Gorman’s late strike. Chris Moore gave Ballina the lead after only five minutes when he bundled the ball home at the near post following a corner from Benny Lavelle. The Town doubled their lead ten minutes into the second half when David McCracken struck from just inside the area after been set up by Raff Cretaro. Ballina looked comfortable at this stage but Westport did not give up and found a way back into the game with twelve minutes remaining when referee Kevin Cox adjudged that Chris Moore handled the ball in the box and Darren Browne stepped up to slot the penalty into the bottom left hand corner of the net. The away side were level minutes later when a mix up in the Ballina defence saw Andrew Shally attempted clearance off the line hit Emmet Peyton and go into the back of the net. Ballina didn’t let the equaliser faze them and they pushed on in the final minutes and the winner arrived in stoppage time as Jamie Cawley shot was well saved by Gary Cunningham but Daniel Gorman was perfectly placed to bury the ball into the back of the net from five yards to give Ballina their second win of the season.
Another side with maximum points after two games is Castlebar Celtic after a 1-0 win over Manulla. Missing a few key regulars Celtic will be delighted with the win over their near neighbours Manulla at Celtic Park. The only goal of the game came after just five minutes when a Long ball by Ioseph O’Reilly was brilliantly controlled by Paul Walsh on the run and the striker finish was top class as he slotted it under Jack Livingstone and into the back of the net. Ben Murphy missed the chance to double Celtic’s lead as he missed a first half spot kick but it didn’t matter in the end as Walsh’s early goal was enough to earn the win for Stevie Gavin’s side.

Kiltimagh/Knock United are the other side on six points after two games as an Owen Carroll goal was enough to earn them a 1-0 win at home to Glenhest Rovers. Carroll’s strike came early in the second half as James McGrath set him up to fire the ball past Sean Nevin in the Glenhest goal.

Substitute David O’Boyle was the hero for Crossmolina as his late goal eared them their first three points of the season with a 2-1 win over Straide & Foxford United. Crossmolina took the lead inside ten minutes as Niall Coggins continued his impressive start to the season but the home side were back on level terms with seven minutes of the half remaining through Dylan Coleman. It looked like both sides would have to settle for a share of the spoils but O’Boyle popped up to score the winner for Michael Canavan’s side in the final minute of the game.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier Division
Ballinrobe Town
and Claremorris played out a 1-1 draw in The Green in a key game in the Premier Division on Sunday morning. Peter Butler set up James Marrey to give Ballinrobe the lead after twenty minutes only for Rokas Mikuckis to level matters midway through the second half.

Swinford and Ballyhunis Town also had to settle for a share of the spoils as they sides played out a goalless draw in James McEvaddy Park.

There were plenty goals in the other early kick-off in this division as neighbours Westport United B and Fahy Rovers drew 3-3 in United Park. Westport took the lead on twenty minutes when Conor Clavey set up Ted Horan but Fahy were level just two minutes later through Kevin Staunton. Westport went back in front five minutes before the break as Horan turned provier for Jack Murphy to score an Westport looked to have sealed the points when Horan got his second of the day five minutes into the second half. Fahy showed signs of improvement after this and their efforts were rewarded as they scored twice in the final ten minutes through Luke Napier and Simon Duffy to secure their first point of the new season.

The three early morning draws gave Kilmore and Ballyglass the chance to go top of the table and it was Sean Ruane’s side that proceeded to do so with a 1-0 win in Drum. Kilmore looked like they had taken the lead on ten minutes when Colin Barrett’s fierce shot from the edge of the area had hit the back of the net but the goal wasn’t given but they didn’t have to wait long to break the deadlock with Evan Ivers scoring what turned out to be the winning goal on fourteen minutes. Ivers rose highest to head home at the far post as he met an inswinging corner from Colin Barrett to score an almost identical goal to his opener against Fahy Rovers last weekend and Kilmore kept a clean sheet at the other end to earn their third victory in a row without conceding a goal. Ballyglass did come close in the second half when Ryan Connolly’s excellent free-kick was turned onto the bar by Pat McHale in the Kilmore goal but this was as close as they got as Kilmore took all three points to go top of the table with two wins from two.

In the final game in the Premier Division Moy Villa got a much needed 2-1 win over Kiltimagh/Knock United B in Attymass. All the damage was done in the opening quarter of an hour as John Durkan and Luke Ruane gave Villa a 2-0 lead and despite Dylan Webb getting a goal back on twenty seven minutes it was Adrian Gaughan’s side that held on to take the three points and earn Villa a first win of the season.

Tonra Cup Quarter Finals
Conn Rangers B
put Castlebar Celtic B to the sword on Sunday morning as they hit five goals in the final ten minutes to earn an impressive 7-2 win over Castlebar Celtic. The sides were level at the break with Caolan Hopkins giving Rangers the lead from the penalty spot on twenty six minutes and Liam Whyte equalising for Celtic ten minutes before the break. Rangers went back in front with twenty minutes remaining as Celtic’s Cillian McNeela hit an own goal and their purple patch in the final ten minutes saw Hokins add three more with Ryan Merchant and Josh Kelly also scoring while Dylan Felle scored a consolation goal for Celtic.

Ballyheane B are also through to the semi-finals after a penalty shootout win over Hollister following a 1-1 draw in Belleek. Danny Langdon had given Hollister a first half lead with a goal after a quarter of an hour but Jude Lavin got the vital goal for Ballyheane early in the second half and the sides couldn’t be separated after full time and extra time before Ballyheane got the win on a 4-3 score line in the shootout.
Two first half goals were enough to see Claremorris B into the semi Finals as they beat Manulla B 2-0 in Concannon Park on Sunday morning. James Cullinane and Davy Hennessey got the goals for the home side as they got their season of to the perfect start with a win over Damien Joyce’s side.

Killala had a convincing win in Fr. O’Brien Park as they put six past Achill Robvers who’s only reply came from the spot through Michael English. Killala held a narrow one goal lead at the break as Michael Corrigan opened the scoring after half an hour. A strong second half performance saw them add five more goals as Michael Tighe, Stephen Morrell, Stephen Moyles and substitutes Kevin Healy and Michael Nealon also getting their names on the scroesheet.

McDonnell Cup Quarter Finals
Two of the favourites for the McDonnell Cup met in the opening round as Ballyvary Blue Bombers defeated Partry Athletic 2-0 in Partry on Sunday morning. Simon Cloherty opened the scoring for the Bombers just before half-time and Kevin Mannion hit the important second goal inside the final ten minutes.

Castlebar Town’s
return to Mayo League Football at junior level ended in a penalty shootout defeat as Crossmolina B progressed to the semi finals after a 2-2 draw in Abbeyview. Crossmolina scored twice in the opening thirty five minutes to hold a commanding lead at the break as Matthew Williams and Shane McKinley scored for the North Mayo side while Kevin Walsh missed a penalty for Castlebar Town in between the two goals. The Town pulled a goal back just before the break as they were awarded a second spot-kick and this time Luciano Almeida De Freitas made no mistake from the spot and Walsh made up for his earlier miss as he hit the equaliser midway through the second half. The sides couldn’t be separated and it went to penalties after extra time with Crossmolina going through on a 5-3 scoreline.

In the third semi-final Iorras Aontaithe made a winning return to junior football as three second half goals saw off the challenge of Fahy Rovers B. A young Iorras side broke the deadlock on the hour mark as Liam Maloney hit the opener before substitute Padraic Cowman made an instant impact with a brace inside six minutes after making an entrance on seventy-five minutes.

A superb second half performance by Ballinrobe Town B ended Conn Rangers C’s interest in the McDonnell Cup for the year as they won 5-0 in Mount Falcon with all the goals coming in the opening period. An Adam Thornton hat-trick inside the opening twenty minutes had Ballinrobe in control and Matthew Walshe and Simon Boyle added further goals before the break to end the game as a contest.

237 Views - Last updated: 25/03/23