News Report

Partry Athletic v Achill Rovers - 20/09/2020

News Report

Weekend Review 19th/20th September


Benny Lavelle added another five goals to his tally as Ballina Town and Westport United continue their unbeaten starts in the Super League as Manulla stayed in touch with a win over Ballyglass

Elverys Sports Super League

Westport United needed a late goal to see of the challenge of a stubborn Glenhest Rovers side in united Park on Saturday evening. Westport dominated most of the game and had a few chances to win it before the goal finally arrived in the 88th minute. Mikey O’Brien was their match winner as he came of the bench to finally settle the tie in Westport’s favour. His swung over a freekick from the left hand side of the penalty area and it evaded everyone and nestled into the bottom right hand corner of the Glenhest net.

Castlebar Celtic’s slim title hopes were dashed on Saturday evening as they lost for the fourth time in six games as Ballyheane took all three points in a five-goal thriller at Pat Quigley Park. It’s a big win for Ashley Stevenson’s side as they moved into the top half of the table while Celtic remain on six points and twelve points behind the league leaders Westport United and Ballina Town. Ballyheane took the lead midway through the first half as Jack Tuufy reacted quickest to fire the ball home from eight yards out after Celtic failed to deal with a corner. Celtic levelled matters minutes before the break as Lerlah Hay finished well after Jordan Loftus set him up inside the area. Loftus then gave Celtic the lead on seventy-two minutes as he had the simplest of tasks to finish at the back post as he followed in a shot from the left wing. The lead didn’t last long as Jack Rochford brought the sides level again five minutes later and the winner arrived five minutes from time as Dara Ludden was fouled by Celtic keeper Jack Jensen and Imoh Atoi stepped up to fire the ball past Jensen to earn a derby win for his side.

In the early morning game on Sunday morning the bottom two sides played out a goalless draw as Ballyhaunis Town and Swinford failed to break down either defence as both sides remain in the relegation zone.

Ballina Town's Benny Lavelle left with another matchball as he brought his league tally to eighteen goals in just six games with five in a 7-1 win as over Claremorris. He had hit three of them in the first half after Dylan McKee had opened the scoring after just two minutes Lavelle took over with two quick goals in the space of two minutes after a quarter of an hour and his third coming from the penalty spot after half an hour. Calvin Joyce pulled a goal back for the home side shortly after the break but Ballina showed little mercy as Lavelle struck two more and the other goal coming from Jamie Cawley. The win sets them up nicely for next weekend’s top of the table clash with Westport United in Belleek.

Manulla remain three points off the joint leaders after a 4-2 win over Ballyglass in Carramore earlier today as the visitors left wondering how they failed to pick up at least a point in a high scoring game. Manulla found themselves two goals up inside the opening twenty minutes as David McCracken and Shea Benson got the early goals. McCracken opening goal came from the spot after Aiden Dunleavy was fouled in the box and Benson doubled their lead as he arrived unmarked at the back post to tuck home a freekick delivered from the right wing. Ballyglass pulled a goal back on the half hour mark to leave Manulla ahead by a single goal at the break but Conor Byrne restored their two goal lead ten minutes into the second half with the goal of the day as he fired the ball home from just inside the area. Ballyglass once again reduced the deficit with seven minutes remaining but Aiden Dunleavy had the final say in the final minute as he was quickest to pounce as the ball rebounded from a Matty Nolan shot and he held his nerve to place the ball into the back of the net from the edge of the area.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier Division
Conn Rangers
moved back to the top of the Premier Division for at least a few hours as Eoin Prendergast returned to form as he hit both goals in a 2-1 win over Fahy Rovers. Both of the goals arrived before half time but it was a nervous ending to the game as Fahy scored what turned out to be a consolation goal as Ger Moore hit a screamer from thirty yards but the away side held out to put another three points on the board.

Straide & Foxford United made it three wins in a row as they added to Snugboro United’s woes with a 3-1 win at Edward Conway Park on Saturday evening. Kienan Smyth had them in front at the break and despite Snugboro pulling a goal back shortly after half-time they took the lead again almost immediately as Tony McDermott scored their second goal of the day. The next goal was always going to be crucial and it went the way of Aiden Flatley’s side as Smyth found the net for a second time to ensure his side maintained their push for promotion.

Kiltimagh/Knock United returned to the top of the Premier Division with two goals in either half as they recorded a 4-0 win over Killala at CMS Park on Sunday morning. Their joint top scorers going into this game were both on target in the first half as Dylan Webb and Darragh Hanlon. Webb opened the scoring after fifteen minutes before Hanlon doubled their lead just before the break. Hanlon then made it three from the penalty spot before Sean Murphy wrapped up the scoring for Giles McDonagh’s side.

Ballina Town B and Westport United B had to settle for a share of the spoils in an entertaining game in Belleek earlier today. Ballina had to come from behind on two occasions but goals from Shane Devers and Jordan Delaney earned them another point as they moved further clear of the relegation zone.

Killeen Sports Ground League One
There is still nothing to separate Newport/Mulranny Wanderers and Moy Villa at the top of League One after the sides drew 2-2 on Saturday evening in Solar 21 Park. This much anticipated clash didn’t disappoint as the two sides who are favourites for promotion couldn’t be separated at the final whistle. John Durkan and Luke Ruane were both on the scoresheet for Hugh Langdon’s side while Steve Patten and Sean Hanley stuck the goals for ten-man Newport/Mulranny who lost goalkeeper Paul Cafferkey to a red card eight minutes before the break.
Crossmolina made it two wins in a row as Ger Haran’s late goal sealed a 2-1 win over Claremorris B in Concannon Park. The win moves them of the bottom of the table an above Claremorris as they put their bad start to the season behind them. Shane Hennigan had given the away side a half-time lead only for Claremorris to equalise on seventy-five minutes, but Haran was to have the final say as he hit the winner on eighty-five minutes.

Partry Athletic moved to within a point of the league leaders as they picked up a third win in a row as Jonathon Lawrence’s goal was enough to see of the challenge of Achill Rovers. In a game of few chances the winner arrived in the second half as Lawrence’s freekick from just outside the area found the top left hand corner of the Achill net.

CMR Fire & Security League Two
The top of League Two took a new direction on Saturday evening as league leaders Kiltimagh/Knock United B were beaten for the first time this season as Ballyvary Blue Bombers took all three points with a 3-0 win in CMS Park. Pat Lynch hit a hat-trick in their win over Conn Rangers B last weekend and it was his strike that gave the Bombers the lead on twenty six minutes as he got on the end of a long ball out of defence to round the keeper and tap the ball into an empty net. Kiltimagh/Knock piled on the pressure after going behind and came close on two occasions before Ballyvary doubled their lead as Kevin Hall acrobatic effort from six yards out found the back of the net. Shane Foy then added a third two minutes into the second half as his brilliantly timed run sent him clear of the defence and he kept his composure to put Ballyvary in total control and they left with all three points to move themselves into a good position and with a shot of promotion in the second half of the season.

Castlebar Celtic B returned to winning ways on Sunday with a convincing 5-1 win over Conn Rangers B in Mount Falcon. Stephen Jennings gave them the lead early on only for Alan Dempsey to equalise for the home side before Celtic took control as Liam Nevin and Terry Maughan gave them a commanding half-time lead. Nevin then put Celtic further ahead as he got his second of the day and Cillian McNeela completed the scoring as Stephen Moran’s side moved into second place in League Two.

Westport United C are the new leaders of League Two as all the goals came in the final quarter of their 2-1 win over Hollister. Joe Sweet gave them the lead on seventy-eight minutes and Ted Horan doubled their advantage just two minutes later and despite a late goal from Hollister in injury time the youngsters held out to continue their good start to the season.