News Report

Kiltimagh/Knock v Conn Rangers - Westaro Cup

News Report

Opening Day Review


The Mayo League season got underway today with action in the Westaro and Tuohy Cups

Westaro Cup 1st Round

In the early morning kick-off in the Westaro Cup Super League Champions Ballyheane advanced to the semi-finals with a 3-0 win over Straide & Foxford United. Ben Edeh thirty ninth minute goal gave the home side the half-time advantage but they had to wait unit twelve minutes from time to double their lead as Michael Fahy hit his first goal of the season. Substitute Naill Vahey completed the scoring from the penalty spot in injury time as Ashley Stevenson’s side began the season with a win.

Crossmolina continued from where they left-off last season with a 3-1 win over neighbours Glenhest Rovers after they went behind early on. Keith Mulchrone opened the scoring for Stephen McLoughlin’s side after only four minutes but their lead was short lived as Niall Coggins got his first of the day only six minutes later to level matters. Coggins then had Crossmolina in front just before the half hour mark and they held onto their one goal advantage until Kevin Campbell secured the win on the dying minutes.

Kiltimagh/Knock United
entertained Super League newcomers Conn Rangers at CMS Park and they made it to Round Two with a 3-1 win over Brendan McDonagh’s side. Cormac Caulfield set up new signing Mark Maloney to open the scoring after just five minutes before Rangers hit back on twenty-eight minutes through Colm Rutledge. Kiltimagh/Knock went back in front just before half-time when Maloney turned provider as he set up last season Mayo League Footballer of the Year Jack O’Connor to net his first of the season. The next goal was always going to be crucial and it was O’Connor who got it as he sealed the win with his second of the day on eighty minutes.

Westport United needed extra-time to see of ten man Maulla as they reached the semi final with a 1-0 win in Carramore as the winner came form PJ Calvey in the second half of extra time. After normal time failedto find a winner it was the away side that finally made the breakthrough just as it looked like a penalty shootout would be needed to find the winner. Gary Cunningham started the move for the winning goal as he found Jack Murphy in the centre of the pitch. Murphy turned to find Darren Browne down the left wing and the forward took his time before squaring the ball to Calvey who found the top right hand corner of the net from just inside the penalty area.

The game of the day took place in Belleek as Castlebar Celtic came from behind to beat ten man Ballina Town 3-2 to set up a second round clash with Kiltiamgh/Knock United. Luke Kelly gave Celtic a half-time lead but two goals inside the opening fifteen minutes of the second half from Benny Lavelle had the home-side in control. Lavelle’s first came on fifty one minutes with the second arriving nine minutes later from the penalty spot. The crucial moment came in the sixty-tird minute when Matty Hamilton was sent-off for a second yellow card for a late tackle on the left wing. Celtic’s response was impressive and their efforts paid off as they scored twice in quick succession through Jordan Loftus and Johnnie Cocozza in the final ten minutes to progress to the next round.

Tuohy Cup 1st Round

Ballyhaunis Town started the new season with a win to move into the semi-finals of the Tuohy Cup as they got past Fahy Rovers on a 2-1 scoreline in Fahy. Daire Caulfield gave Ballyhaunis the lead after only four minutes before Jack Staunton levelled matters just six minutes later. The winning goal came just after the break when Mohammed Alom hit the decisive strike on fifty-one minutes.

Kiltimagh/Knock United B looked to have strengthened their squad this season and they got off to the perfect start with a 3-1 win over Westport United B. One of their newest recruits from their first team Dylan Webb made an instant impact as his first half double had the away side in control at the break. Westport pulled a goal back on seventy-eight minutes when Dan O’Malley found the back of the net but Kiltimagh/Knock sealed the win in injury time through substitute Aidan Cosgrove.

Ballyglass hit the headlines in recent days as they added Ryan Connolly to their squad ahead of the new season and the player coach got off to a winning start with a 3-1 win over Ballinrobe Town. Connolly might have been the star name in the starting eleven but it was Liam Hughes that proved the difference between the sides as he hit a second-half hat-trick. Hughes had to wait until the sixty-third minute to open the scoring in a tight affair and his other two came in the last ten minutes before substitute Connor Ryan pulled a goal back for Pat O’Sullivan side in injury time.

Claremorris look to be one of the strongest teams in the Premier Division this season and they proved this on day one with a 5-1 win over Moy Villa in Attymass to set up a second round clash against neighbours Ballyglass. Simon Butler opened the scoring after just five minutes before Andrew Ruane had Moy Villa back on level terms on the half hour mark. Claremorris went back into the lead just before half-time as Danny Broderick set up Finnian Brady to get their second of the day. Broderick then added a brace inside the first ten minutes of the second half to end the game as a contest before Ryan McLoughlin completed the scoring on seventy minutes.

The final first-round tie took place in a very blustery and wet Drum as Kilmore seen off Swinford by three goals to nil. Kilmore playing with the aid of the strong breeze had a few half chances early on through Justin Healy and Evan Ivers but they failed to trouble Niall Cassidy in the Swinford goal until they took the lead on twenty-eight minutes through a James Kelly penalty. Healy won the spot-kick when he was taken down just inside the area and Kelly stepped up to send Cassidy the wrong way from twelve yards. Kilmore seemed to sense they would need another before half-time and it arrived a minute before the break as Patrick Sweeney burst through the Swinford defence before unleashing a powerful shot into the top left hand corner of the net from just inside the area. Kilmore continued to have the better of the game in the second half even though they were playing into the strong wind and Justin Healy ended the game as a contest on seventy eight minutes when he finished of a mazy run across the penalty area to fire the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net. 

119 Views - Last updated: 25/03/23