Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo

Mayo Football League

News Report

Weekend Review - 8th/9th August


Castlebar Celtic B v Westport United B - 8/8/20

Westport United B and Ballina Town B are the first two sides into the Calor Gas Premier Cup Semi Fianls while there were mixed fortunes for the four Mayo sides in action in the Connacht Cup and Shield

Calor Gas Premier Cup Quarter Finals

In the only game on Saturday evening Westport United B had to come from a goal down as they struck two second half goals to deny Castlebar Celtic B from causing an upset at Solar 21 Park. The sides are separated by two divisions but that wasn’t evident as Celtic too the lead on the half hour mark as the evergreen Stephen Jennings gave Stephen Moran’s side the lead. It was two other well known names that made the difference for United as Vinny Foy and Mark McNally hit the crucial goals for the men in red and black as they booked their place in the semi finals

In the second Quarter Final Ballina Town B progressed as they came through a tough local derby with a 2-1 win over Killala in Belleek. Damien Lackey and an unfortunate Killala own goal at the home side in a commanding lead before Killala pulled a goal back before the end. Killala will be encouraged by their performance before they begin their league campaign next weekend while Ballina will look to extend their unbeaten run in the division which currently stands at eighteen games.

TP Brennan Connacht Cup Quarter Finals
It was a mixed day for Mayo sides as Westport United progressed to the semi finals and Castlebar Celtic bowed out after a heavy defeat in Salthill.
Westport put six past Ballinasloe Town as Mickey Feeney’s side made light work of the Roscommon League side. Phil Keegan opened the scoring on nineteen minutes as his neat half volley found the bottom corner of the net after Jesper Frisch set him up on the edge of the area. Two minutes later Darren Browne pounced on a mistake in the away sides defence to stroll though and place the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net. Frisch set up Keegan once again as he scored his second on thirty three minutes as he beat the offside trap and calmly finished past the keeper. The result was put beyond doubt on sixty five minutes as Mikey O’Brien’s goalbound shot was deflected past the Ballinasloe keeper and minutes late Phil Keegan grabbed his hattrick with a powerful finish from inside the area. The final goal came in the final ten minutes as James McGrath waltzed through the Ballinasloe defence to complete the scoring.

It was a day to forget for Super League Champions Castlebar Celtic against Salthill Devon as they never got going and couldn’t pull off the heroics against a second Galway side in a week. Salthill led by four at the break and added two more in the second half to join Westport, St. Bernards and West United in the semi-finals.

TP Brennan Connacht Shield
Glenhest Rovers are the sole Mayo survivor in the Connacht Shield after a 1-0 win over Ballymote Celtic in Beltra earlier today. For the second time in three games the winning goal came from Cathal Chambers as his first half strike was enough to put them in the semi-final draw.

Kiltimagh/Knock United came up against a very good Ballaghaderreen side on Sunday afternoon and they were no match for the Roscommon 1st Division side as the home team ran out 4-0 winners. Danny Browne (2), Paddy Callaghan and Leon Sinnot hit the goals for Ballagh as they ended a good week for the club with four wins in eight days.


Our Sponsors...