Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo

Mayo Football League

News Report

Weekend Review - 29th/30th August


Benny Lavelle - Ballina Town

Benny Lavelle scores five as Ballina Town edge out Castlebar Celtic in nine goal thriller while Ballyhaunis Town while Ballyhaunis Town caused the shock of the weekend with a 1-0 win over Manulla

Elverys Sports Super League

Claremorris picked up their first win of the season as they left Ballyheane rooted to the bottom of the table with a 2-1 win at Pat Quigley Park on Saturday evening. They took the lead in the thirty fourth minute when Simon Butler had the simplest of tasks as he walked the ball into the net after the Ballyheane keeper dropped a right win cross from Brandon Walsh into his path. Ballyheane gave as good as they got at the start of the second half but the crucial second goal arrived on seventy two minutes when Dean Roddy got on the end of a through ball and chipped the onrushing keeper from thirty yards. Ballyheane did pull a goal back late on as Nathan Reilly Doyle got on the end of a Cillian Redmond through ball but it came too late and Claremorris held out to take the three points

In the first of the early morning kick-offs Ballyglass continued their good start to the season with a 2-1 win over Glenhest Rovers. Ballyglass led 2-0 at the break thanks to goals from Keelan McDonnell and Mossy Joyce. Liam Hughes struck twice in the second half as Ballyglass moved further clear before Cormac Reilly hit Glenhest sole reply late on.

Westport United were made to work for their third win of the season but they did come away with all three points from James McEvaddy Park with a 2-0 win over Swinford. It took Mickey Feeney’s side thirty five minutes to break down a stubborn Swinford defence as Phil Keegan headed home the opener from an in-swinging Mark McDonagh freekick. Swinford were in the game right up until the final quarter and were unlucky to concede a second when Mikey O’Brien’s right wing cross deflected of Shane Fallon for an unfortunate own goal in the seventy-sixth minute.

Benny Lavelle’s five-star performance proved to be the difference as Ballina Town and Castlebar Celtic played out a nine-goal thriller at Celtic Park earlier today. Lavelle struck all five goals for the ‘Town’ in a real end to end encounter as the lead changed hands on several occasions. Jordan Loftus opened the scoring for Celtic near the end of the first half but Lavelle had Ballina level minutes later as he finished low to the left hand corner of the net from 12 yards out. Lavelle then put Ballina in front a minute after the break only for Celtic to hit back a two-minutes later as Lerlah Hay found the back of the Ballina net. Lavelle completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot on fifty-five minutes but once again the sides were back on level terms shortly after as Jordan Loftus got his second goal of the day. Paul Walsh then put Celtic in front for a second time just after the hour mark but Lavelle was causing all sorts of problems for the Celtic defence and he made it 4-4 seven minutes later. As we entered the final ten minutes Ballina were pushing forward at every opportunity and Lavelle proved to be the hero as he struck what proved to be the winning goal with just eight minutes remaining.
Ballyhaunis Town caused the shock of the weekend as they moved off the bottom of the table with a 1-0 win over Manulla at Station Rise. A goal from Carlos Jauier was the difference between the sides as Roger Clarke’s side suffered their first league defeat of the season

CastleCourt Hotel Premier Division
Iorras Aontaithe
continued their unbeaten start to the season with a 3-1 win over Ballina Town B in Belleek on Saturday evening. Ballina were unable to bounce back from last weekend’s defeat to Fahy Rovers and found themselves a goal down at the break as Dylan Walker broke the deadlock before half time. Ballina equalised through Jordan Delaney on fifty-five minutes but Walker had his side back in front on seventy minutes before player manager Ivan Barrett sealed the three points with a well taken goal on eighty five minutes.

Kiltimagh/Knock United put last Sunday’s second half collapse in Iorras behind them as they had a comfortable 3-0 win over Snugboro United in CMS Park last night. After several good chances went a begging they finally took the lead as Dylan Webb calmly finished into the bottom left hand corner of the net after getting onto the end of a flicked header from a long clearance out of defence. They doubled their lead shortly before the break as Iarla Carty headed home a corner from the left after the Snugboro keeper failed to connect cleaning as he attempted to punch the ball away. Following a free kick on the half way line John McNicholas put the game beyond doubt as he beat the Snugboro keeper to the ball on the edge of the penalty area to nod the ball into an empty net.

A late Tim Campion goal gave Westport United B the bragging rights over near neighbours Fahy Rovers as they took the three points on offer with a 2-1 win at United Park. Westport took an early lead as PJ Calvey headed the ball across goal from a corner and the ball was diverted into his own net by the Fahy keeper. They held onto this lead until the fifty fifth minute when Tom Keane was quickest to react to blast the ball past Michael Gibbons in the Westport goal after the netminder had made a good initial save. Substitute Campion was to be the hero with just three minutes remaining as he went out to take a pass from a short corner on the left hand side before taking aim and curling the ball beyond everyone and into the top left hand corner of the Fahy net.

Conn Rangers moved back to the top of the Premier Division as a goal in each half seen them get revenge on Manulla B for their cup defeat on Thursday night. Rangers came flying out of the blocks but couldn’t find a way past Graham Galvey in the Manulla goal until the thirty-seventh minute when Ronan Weir gave them a half-time lead. Despite having a lot of possession in the second half and an Eoin Prendergast missed penalty they had to wait until injury time to get the insurance goal as Owen McNamara continued his good start to the season with the all important second goal for Nigel Reape’s side.

Substitute Finn Lacey’s 93rd minute goal earned Killala a deserved three points in the battle of the bottom two as Straide & Foxford United were the visitors to the Courthouse on Sunday afternoon. Killala started slowly but took the lead on sixteen minutes when Michael O’Hora won the the ball back in midfield an slid in Nathan Brown who made no mistake as he calmly finished past Jamie Leahy in the Straide & Foxford net. Leahy was then called into action on several occasions in the next twenty minutes as somehow Killala failed to double their lead as Brown, O’Hora and Cathal Boland all missed glorious chances for Peter McDonnell’s side. They were made to pay for all the missed chances just before half time as a corner was headed back across goal by David Fahy and John O’Hara was quickest to react to volley the ball past Cian Donnelly in the Killala goal. Killala introduced Rory Gallagher and Matthew Langdon Long at the break and Gallagher in particular had a big influence as Killala created chance after chance in the second half but they couldn’t find a way past Leahy until deep in injury time. Just when it looked as the away side had done enough to earn a point Finn Lacey outpaced the Straide & Foxford centre backs to get onto the end of a long ball and he took his time before finishing past Leahy and in off the post to earn three crucial points for the home-side.

Killeen Sports Ground League One
Moy Villa
made it two wins from two with a comfortable 4-1 victory over Achill Rovers in Attymass on Saturday evening. Two goals from John Durkan had them in control at the break as both teams had been reduced to ten men following the dismissals of Kevin Langon and Sean Scott for an off the ball incident. Luke Ruane made it three as he rounded the keeper brilliantly, but Achill pulled a goal back on seventy minutes as Sean McNamara made no mistake from the penalty spot. Man of the match Ciaran Gaughan completed the scoring for the home side late on as Hugh Langdon side showed why they are the favourites to win a second league title in two years.

Kilmore had a real smash and grab win in Crossmolina on Saturday evening as two goals from James Flannery and a solid rear-guard performance was enough to earn them their second win of the season. Flannery had them in front inside the first ten minutes as he had the simplest of tasks of tapping the ball into an empty net after referee Ann Sweeney played a good advantage after Mark Gilbert was upended by the Crossmolina keeper on the edge of the area. Gilbert went off injured after the collision and from then on it was all Crossmolina but they struggled to find their way past a stubborn Kilmore defence. On the few occasions that they did in the second half Kilmore keeper Liam Keane had to make some excellent last ditch saves with Shane Hennigan having the best of the chances with fifteen minutes remaining. Kilmore soaked up the pressure and hit Crossmolina for a second time on the break with eight minutes remaining as Sean Brogan won the ball in midfield before releasing Flannery who took his time before calmly slotting the ball beyond the reach of the Crossmolina keeper.

Claremorris B got their first win off the season on Sunday afternoon as they earned a hard fought 2-1 win over Partry Athletic at Concannon Park. Claremorris took the lead early on as Niall Tracey picked up a loose pass out of defence by Partry and he slipped the ball to his brother Shane who took one touch before firing an unstoppable shot past the Partry keeper. Partry levelled before too long but Tracey was to be the matchwinner as he scored his second from the penalty spot in the second half after he was fouled in the box following a strong run down the left wing.

CMR Fire & Security League Two
Castlebar Celtic B
came from behind to take the points as they recorded a 3-1 win over Hollister in Celtic Park on Saturday evening. Hollister thought they had secured a half time lead as Martin Delaney hit a goal minutes before the break only for Terry Maughan to level matters as he struck his third goal of the season right on the half time whistle. Nicky Canning then put Celtic in front almost immediately after half time and Steven Jennings put the game to bed as he made it three late on to secure Stephen Moran’s side their first league win of the season.

Kiltimagh/Knock United B came from two goals down to score three late goals as they recorded a 4-3 win over Westport United C at CMS Park. Westport went in two goals up at the break but Kiltimagh/Knock regrouped and Mario Majerić got a goal back, after a great ball in from Shane Prendergast, just after the restart. Westport regained their two-goal lead shortly after but the homeside did not give up and got back within touching distance when Christy Conlon nodded home from Gavin Groarke’s corner. Kiltimagh/Knock never gave in and not only did they level but went on to get the winner minutes later. Brendan Burke headed home a corner from Gavin Groarke to level the tie but Thomas Gillespie popped up to score the winner as he hit a left foot winner after he got on the end of a superb through ball from Shane Byrne.

Crossmolina B picked up their first point of the season as they came away with a 1-1 draw against Ballyvary Blue Bombers on Sunday afternoon. Ballyvary held a half-time lead as Mark Kilgallon was on target in the thirty-fourth minute but youngster Niall Goggins earned the away side a point when he levelled in the second half


Our Sponsors...