Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo

Mayo Football League

News Report

Weekend Review - 22nd/23rd August


Iorras Aontaithe v Kiltimagh/Knock United - 23/08/2020

Westport United reach the Connacht Cup Final after a 4-2 win on penalties over West United while there were plenty of goals across all four league divisions on Saturday and Sunday

TP Brennan Connacht Cup Semi-Final

Westport United will meet Salthill Devon in the final of the Connacht Cup after a dramatic semi final win over West United earlier today.As the game entered it’s final minutes it looked like West United’s first half goal would be enough to decide the tie but Westport didn’t give up and Phil Keegan rose highest to head home a corner from James O’Donnell right on full-time. Westport were the netter side in extra time but couldn’t find a way through and the tie was settled by a penalty shootout where Gary Cunningham and Jack Murphy were the heroes for Mickey Feeney’s side. Cunningham saved West’s third penalty while Murphy fired home the winner seconds later. Phil Keegan had missed the first spot kick while Darren Browne, Mickey O’Brien and James O’Donnell along with Murphy all found the ack of the net to send the Mayo League side through to the final

TP Brennan Connacht Shield Semi Final
Glenhest Rovers
bowed out of the Connacht Shield at the semi final stage as they lost out in a seven-goal thriller against Colemanstown United in Beltra. Glenhest lead on two occasions but couldn’t hold out as the Galway side battled back to win as Eoin Kenny scored the winner with seven minutes remaining. Glenhest first took the lead inside the opening ten minutes thanks to Cormac Reilly but Colemanstown were back on level terms before half-time thanks to a header from Damien Wynne. Wynne then put Colemanstown ahead five minutes into the second half as he caught the Glenhest keeper off guard with a tremendous strike from near the halfway line. Glenhest rallied to come back and lead with half an hour to go as Cathal Chambers and Kevin Warde were on target but Colemanstown weren’t to be denied as Stephen Rabbitte equalised on eighty minutes before Kenny hit the winner three minutes later.

Elverys Sports Super League

In the only Super League game on Saturday evening Ballina Town needed a late winner from youngster Caleb Daley to record a 2-1 win over Swinford who really put it up to their near neighbours in Belleek. The sides were level at the break but the deadlock was broken on fifty three minutes as veteran defender Duane Helly popped up to score the opener for the home side. The lead didn’t last long as Swinford equalised just six minutes later as Johnny McNulty scored his second of the season for Liam Foy’s side. Swinford had chances to take the lead but Ballina’s experience seen them through and Mayo U18 captain Caleb Daley struck the winner with a well struck shot from outside the area with just eight minutes remaining to give the Town maximum points after their opening two games.

In the Sunday morning game Ballyheane made the short journey to Carramore to take on Manulla in an early season derby. Roger Clarke’s side made it two wins from two with an impressive win over their near neighbours thanks to first half goals from Enda McGahon and Gerry Canavan. McGahon gave them the lead inside the opening quarter of an hour as he got on the end of a long clearance to round the onrushing Ballyheane keeper and he kept his composure to finish to an empty net from just outside the area. They doubled their lead on thirty-five minutes when Canavan converted a penalty to leave the home side in a good position at the break. There were no goals in the second half but Ballyheane will regret a missed penalty with twenty minutes to go that could have set up a frantic finish.
Mossy Joyce hit the winner for Ballyglass as they came away from Concannon Park with a 3-2 win over near neighbours Claremorris. Ballyglass took the lead on thirty-five minutes thanks to Keelan McDonnell but the lead was short lived as Rokas Mikuckis well struck freekick found the bottom right hand corner of the net. McDonnell then put the away side back in front on fifty-three minutes only for Mikuckis to equalise for a second time as he blasted an indirect free-kick past the ten man wall with just seven minutes remaining. Ballyglass though were determined to take all three points and Joyce was the hero with the late strike to earn them their first three points of the season.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier Division
Conn Rangers
were made to work for their second win of the season as Brian Hughes struck a late winner in a 2-1 win over Killala.
Conn Rangers lead 1-0 at the break as Lorcan Towey struck a free kick low into the left-hand corner of the net on thirty-five minutes. Rangers dominated the second half but missed numerous chances and they were made to pay for their lack of firepower as Killala levelled when the ball was bundled over the line after a corner was swung in from the left wing. Rangers piled on the pressure an it finally told on eighty four minutes when Brian Hughes was quickest to react to a loose ball in the penalty area to fire a half volley into the left hand corner of the net from twelve yards out.

Westport United B had a big win in Green Road as they secured the three points against Straide & Foxford United thanks to a double from Mark McNally. Both sides suffered defeats on the opening weekend so the three points were key even at this early stage of the season. It was the side that advertised for a new manager during the week that came away with the points as McNally put Straide & Foxford to the sword. Connor Sherry scored the sole reply for the home side and next weekend’s away trip to Killala is now a must win for Aiden Flatley’s side.

It’s two points from two games for Snugboro United as they drew their second game of the season with a 2-2 draw against Manulla B on Saturday evening at Edward Conway Park. They led at the break as Jamie McArdle and Mark Mongan scored for the home side while Paddy Canavan was on target for Mossy Lally’s side. It was a hotly contested second half and Manulla B found the equaliser as George Boyd struck his first goal of the season to leave Manulla B on four points after two games.

Ballina Town B’s long unbeaten league run came to an end earlier today as Fahy Rovers put in a very impressive performance to record a 4-2 win over the Premier Division champions. John Kelly put in an exceptional performance for John Creaby’s side and Ballina struggled to deal with him and Simon Duffy throughout the ninety minutes. Duffy scored twice while Johnny Doyle and Kelly were the others on target for the home team. Ballina’s Caleb Daley scored the winner for their A team last night and the youngster was on target again today as he scored the first of their two goals.

Iorras Aontaithe failed to cut out the defensive errors that seen them drop two points in the 4-4 draw with Snugboro United last weekend as they conceded another four earlier today but this time it didn’t matter as they hit five themselves in a explosive tie with Kiltimagh/Knock United at Carne Nash. Kiltimagh/Knock took an early lead as Darragh Hanlon put them ahead on five minutes. Iorras equalised on thirty one minutes as Kyle O’Reilly’s freekick found the bottom left hand corner of the net but Kiltimagh/Knock scored two in three minutes just before the break as Simon Walsh struck on forty-one minutes and Hanlon got his second of the day minutes later.  O’Reilly pulled a goal back from another freekick and he hit his hat-trick with ten minutes remaining to set up a grandstand finish. Dylan Walker then remarkably hit a quickfire double before Conor Prendergast hit the final goal of the game in the final minute

Killeen Sports Ground League One

Kilmore picked up their first points of the season with a 2-1 win over Claremorris B on Saturday evening in Drum. The home-side looked the more dangerous in the first half and would have been disappointed to only go in a goal up at the break after they missed several chances either side of Mark Gilbert opening goal midway through the half. They did not have it all their own way but Claremorris were reduced to shots from distance and they did come close on two occasions as they rattled Liam Keane’s crossbar from outside the area. Claremorris were more dominant in the second half playing with the wind but once again most efforts on the Kilmore goal came from distance. Kilmore always looked dangerous on the break and Gilbert nearly double their lead on sixty-five minutes as he hit the outside of the post after closing down the last defender. Gilbert through made no mistake minutes later as he slotted home his second of the day after racing clear of the Claremorris defence. The away side hit back almost immediately as Mick Mullee headed home an in-swinging corner from the right hand side but this was as good as it got for the men in green and Kilmore held out to pick up a home win.

Newport/Mulranny Wanderers
have taken maximum points from their opening two games after a tough 3-1 win over Partry Athletic on Saturday evening. Damien Doyle gave them a first half lead as he got on the end of a low driven ball into the box to smash the ball home.
Jack Hanley doubled their lead with the goal of the game early in the second half as his 30 yard piledriver flew in off the crossbar. Partry did pull a goal back and could have levelled before Aiden McManaman killed off the game as he headed home a corner at the back post.

Achill Rovers got their first win of the season as Cory Kilbane hit two early goals in a 2-1 win over Crossmolina at Fr. O’Brien Park. Kilbane early double was the difference in the end even if Shane Hennigan’s second half strike did set up a nervy finish for Patrick Gallagher’s side.

CMR Fire & Security League Two
Kiltimagh/Knock United
made it two wins from two thanks to a comfortable 5-2 win over Crossmolina B on Saturday evening. Shane Prendergast showed his experience as he hit a perfect hat-trick with Thomas Gillespie also on target with the other two goals. Gillespie gave them the lead after Crossmolina failed to stop his mazy dribble down the right wing and he cut inside before firing home from ten yards. Prendergast doubled their lead as he pounced on an error from the Crossmolina keeper while Gillespie made it three with a well struck penalty. In the second half Gillespie turned provider as he floated in a freekick from the right wing which Prendergast nodded home from eight yards. Crossmolina halved the deficit with two quick goals from Patrick Lindsay and Conal Carolan but Prendergast had the last word as he completed his hat-trick to end any hope of a comeback.

Westport United C began life in League Two with a win as they secured all three points against Conn Rangers B in United Park on Sunday morning. Dylan O’Malley gave Westport a half time lead only for David Bourke to draw the sides level immediately after the break. Both sides had chances to win it but it was the debutants that scored the all important third goal minutes before the final whistle as Adam Diamond Keane got the winner.

Hollister put last weekend’s late defeat to Kiltimagh/Knock United B behind them as a late own goal was enough for them to secure a 3-2 win over Ballyvary Blue Bombers earlier today. Brandon Conlon gave Vinny Coen’s side the lead just after the half hour but Eoin Gilligan had the sides level at the break. Danny Langdon scored his second of the season to put Hollister back in front on sixty five minutes only for Dillon Maher to equalise for Ballyvary for a second time. Maher’s joy was short-lived as it was his final touch that sent the ball into the Ballyvary net late on to net the three points for the homeside.



Our Sponsors...