Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review - 1st/2nd September


Ballina Town - Elverys Sports Super League Champions 2018

Ballina Town were celebrating on the double as they clinched the Super League title and the League One Title this weekend

Elverys Sports Super League

Ballina Town were crowned Elverys Sports Super League Champions on Sunday afternoon as they cruised to a 13-0 victory over Ballyheane. The result was never in doubt from an early stage as Ballina dominated right from kick-off. Benny Lavelle passed the twenty league goal mark as he struck four with Jamie Cawley and Dylan Edwards netting hat-tricks and the other goals coming from Dylan McKee and Duane Helly. Ballina have been a step above everyone else this season scoring seventy-three goals and conceding just eleven in the fifteen league games they have played.

Claremorris came form a goal behind to further increase the relegation fears of Iorras Aontaithe as they dominated the last twenty minutes to win 5-2. Danny Broderick scored twice with the other goals coming from Andy Peters, Cathal Walsh and Finnian Brady as Claremorris kept up their faint hopes of catching Westport United in second place.

Westport United came from 3-1 down to record an impressive 4-3 victory over Manulla in Carramore. Westport United took the lead early on but Manulla hit back and scored three goals in under ten minutes just after the half hour mark as Paul Lawless (2) and Jackson DeSilva found the net for Connie Morrissey’s side. Westport though did enough to keep their three point lead in second place as they scored three second half goals to claim all three points.

Castlebar Celtic kept up the pressure on Westport United with a 4-1 win over Straide & Foxford United in Celtic Park. Gerry Hunt had Cetic 2-0 up at the break before Straide & Foxford pulled a goal back. Celtic though pushed on after this and added two further goals through Nicky Canning and Jose Navarro.

more or less ended their relegation fears with a 5-0 win over Kiltimagh/Knock United on Sunday afternoon. Jp O’Gorman was the star of the show as he hit four goals with the other one coming from Evan Connolly. Kiltimagh/Knock still have survival in their own hands starting with the visit of Iorras Aontaithe to CMS Park next weekend.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier League
Snugboro United are now just a point away from sealing promotion to the Super League as they made it eighteen wins in a row thanks to a 2-0 win over Fahy Rovers on Saturday evening. Sean Curry gave them a first half lead from the penalty spot and the second goal arrived late on as Kevin Curry ensured they would pick up the three points with a goal near the end of the second half. Snugboro have a five point lead at the top of the table with three games remaining and could even be crowned champions next weekend if results go their way.

Ballyhaunis Town also look odds on to join Snugboro in the Super League next season after a 4-2 win over Conn Rangers on Saturday evening. Cathal Carney (2), Jarlath Carney and Dayo Adex were on target for Tommy Paige’s side as they made it six league wins in a row. Luke Ruane and Eoin Prendergast got the goals for Conn Rangers.

Swinford kept their faint promotion hopes alive with a 4-2 win over Achill Rovers on Saturday evening. Paddy O’Donnell gave Swinford the lead early on but Achill went in ahead at the break after two quickfire goals from Brandon McGing and Damien McNulty. Swinford though were much the better side in the second half and came away with all three points thanks to further goals from Joe Slevin (2) and Martin Murphy.

In the final game in the Premier Division Westport United B left Ballyglass with a mountain to climb in their fight for survival with a 1-0 win over the East Mayo side at United Park. Ballyglass remain four points adrift of safety with just three games remaining and they could join Westport in League One next season if they fail to beat Achill Rovers next weekend.

Three Store League One
On a dramatic final day Ballina Town B were crowned the Three Store League One Champions on Saturday evening after their 2-1 win over Partry Athletic in Belleek. Eric Monk gave them the lead on twelve minutes but Partry hit back to level matters before half time. Ballina needed a win to guarantee promotion and the League’s top goalscorer Dale Hopkins hit the winner for his side midway through the second half. As it turned out this goal was enough to seal the title for the North Mayo side as they claimed the double after already picking up the Tonra Cup in July.

Castlebar Celtic B pulled off a huge shock at Celtic Park as they beat Manulla B 3-1 to deny Mossy Lally’s side the league title. Celtic went into the game knowing that they possibly needed the three points to stay up and Bryan Mannion’s side put in a very strong second half performance to ensure they would be playing League One football again next season. At half time Manulla B looked on course to secure the title as Sean Corcoran had given them the lead midway through the first-half with a stunning goal from thirty yards. Manulla had two excellent chances at the beginning of the second half but Derek O’Sullivan was equal to both attempts to keep his side in the game. Celtic got back on level terms when Michael Maughan bundled home the ball at the second attempt after Manulla failed to clear a free-kick into the box. Maughan then put Celtic in front as he capitalised on another mistake in the Manulla defence to finish calmly over the Manulla keeper and Maughan made the points safe for his side as he completed his hat-trick late on.

Kilmore were relegated to League Two after a 2-2 draw with Killala on Saturday evening but as it turns out this would have been the outcome even if they had managed to find a winner as Castlebar Celtic B’s win over Manulla B had put a four point gap between the two sides.

Killeen Sports Ground League Two
Ballyvary Blue Bombers
went into their final league game knowing a win would seal promotion to League One but they came up against a very determined Ballina United side who ran out 8-1 winners in Inishcrone on Sunday afternoon. Ballyvary looked nervous from the off and found themselves 3-0 down at half-time as Daniel Moyles, Mark Moyles and James Muldoon scoring the goals for Martin Langdon’s side. United added five further goals in the second half as they ran out comfortable winners. Ballyvary must now rely on United beating Hollister next Sunday if they are to end up in a play-off with Vinny Coen’s side to decide the final promotion place.

Claremorris B and Hollister played out a 1-1 draw in Concannon Park as Hollister missed out on the chance to clinch the league title. It’s still in their own hands but they will need to beat near neighbours Ballina United in their final game on Sunday as Claremorris will be expected to pick up the three points that will see them promoted when they take on bottom of the table Newport Burrishoole in Solar 21 Park. Against the run of play Hollister lead at the break but the Claremorris goal was worth waiting for as Conor Groarke scored a screamer to ensure the title race went right down to the last round of games.