Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo

Mayo Football League

News Report

Weekend Review 15th/16th August


Ballyvary Blue Bombers v Castlebar Celtic B

There were goals aplenty in the opening weekend of the League as Castlebar Celtic, Westport United, Ballina Town and Manulla all recorded wins in the Super League

Elverys Sports Super League
Manulla got their campaign of to the perfect start as they picked up the three points on offer as Enda McGahon strike was enough to see of the challenge of Claremorris. McGahon scored the winner five minutes into the second have as he finished well after some good work by youngster Lorcan Conroy. Claremorris pushed for an equaliser but the dismissal of Finian Brady all but ended their chances.

In the second Super League game on Saturday evening Westport United recovered from conceding an early goal in Ballyheane to record a 3-1 win in Pat Quigley Park. Ballyheane went ahead after just four minutes as Dean Fadden pounced on an error in the Westport defence to fire home from the edge of the area with a well struck left foot shot. It took Westport a while to get going but they were level on the half hour mark as Danny O’Toole headed home after some good work by Cian McAlister down the left wing. The next goal was always going to be crucial and it went the way of the away side as Peter Corcoran found the top corner from the edge of the area after Mickey O’Brien did well to force a ball through to him. O’Brien was again the provider for the third goal as his pass found Eoin Conway who let fly from long range and somehow his shot squirmed into the back of the net to ensure Westport took the three points.
Super League Champions Castlebar Celtic got their season off to a shaky start as they had to come from behind to record a comfortable victory in the end in Ballyglass on Sunday morning. Ballyglass led 2-0 at the break on a shock was on the cards as they struck twice minutes before the half-time whistle. Whatever was said at the break worked a treat for the away side as they were level within ten minutes thanks to goals from Lerlah Hay and Jordan Loftus. Hay then gave Celtic the lead and they never looked back as Loftus added two more to complete his hat-trick and debutant Paul Walsh was also on the scoresheet to round of a man of the match performance.

Ballina Town took just thirty-seven seconds to break the deadlock as they came away with a 6-1 win over Ballyhaunis Town in Station Rise on Sunday afternoon. Brendan Lavelle scored the early opener with his first of the day and they didn’t have to wait long for their second as Fabiano doubled their lead on twelve minutes. Lavelle had completed his hat-trick before the break and Fabiano had also grabbed a second as the ‘Town’ showed they mean business for the season ahead. Lavelle got his fourth of the day shortly after the break and although Ballyhaunis pulled one back through Gary Higgins from the penalty spot but the away side never looked in any danger of conceding again before the final whistle.

The two sides that came up to the Super League this season met in their opening game as Swinford hosted Glenhest Rovers at James McEvaddy Park. The home side hit the front in the opening few minutes as Johnny McNulty but Pat Mulchrone had the Hest level before the break. Glenhest had the best chance to win it in the second half but missed a penalty and both sides had to settle for a point.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier Division
Kiltimagh/Knock United put a tough week behind them as they opened their league season with a 2-0 win over Fahy Rovers at CMS Park. After two heavy defeats including a 6-2 loss to Moy Villa on Thursday night in the cup goals from Dylan Webb and Conal Mooney were enough to see of the challenge of Fahy Rovers a side they lost twice to last season.

The game of the night took place in Belleek as Ballina Town B came from behind to get one over on local rivals Straide & Foxford United.
Straide & Foxford opened the scoring on fourteen minutes through Michael Guilfoyle but Ballina were level just two minutes later as Shane Devers hit his first of the night. Amazingly Guilfoyle had the away side back in the lead inside another sixty seconds, but Devers had the sides back on level terms just before the half hour mark. The goals did not stop here an Jordan Delaney put Ballina in front for the first time three minutes later and the final goal of the game came late in the second half as Shane Devers completed his hattrick from the penalty spot on eighty-two minutes.

Killala suffered an opening day defeat on their return to the Premier Division as Manulla B came away with all three points thanks to a 2-1 win at The Courthouse. Cian Mannion and David Leneghan were on target for Mossy Lally’s side while Iarla Quinn was on target for the homeside.

There was an eight goal thriller to open proceedings at Carne Nash as Iorras Aontaithe and Snugboro United drew 4-4 in a very entertaining game on Sunday afternoon. Brendan Nallen had Iorras in front on sixteen minutes with an excellent finish, Luke O'Reilly the provider. But on 21 minutes Jason Ormsby made it 1-1 with the first of his two goals in the first half with his second arriving on the half hour mark. On forty one minutes it was a case Kyle O'Reilly provided a great pass to his brother Luke who finished with his usual style which ended the half 2-2.

Two minutes into the second half Ryan Ruddy had Iorras back in front with a nice finish just inside the area with Brendan Nallen the provider, but on seventy three minutes Jason Ormsby scored his third with top corner finish making it 3-3.
Luke O'Reilly then thought he had won it for Iorras with his second of the day on seventy six minutes but with the clock ticking down Snogboro’s Dylan Felle slotted home from close range to finish the encounter all squar

Conn Rangers came away with an important 2-1 win over a determined Westport United B side in United Park on Sunday afternoon. Rangers went in front inside the first five minutes as a corner from the right was met by a Westport defender who couldn’t react quick enough, and the ball bounced off him and past Michael Gibbons in the Westport net. Conn Rangers had the better of the play for the rest of the half but failed to add to their early goal and they paid the price on the hour mark as PJ Calvey took control of a long throw eight yards from goal and he turned and shot past the Conn Rangers keeper in the blink of an eye. This fired Rangers up and they didn’t have to wait long to find the winner as Owen McNamara headed home a corner just five minutes later and the away side held out to take all three points.

Killeen Sports Ground League One
Moy Villa got off to a winning start in Crossmolina on Saturday evening after a tough contest in Abbeytown as they survived a late scare to win by the odd goal in seven. The Attymass men went in at half time a goal to the good thanks to a Luke Ruane finish from a tight angle. The hosts levelled the game quickly after the restart as Shane Hennigan got his first of the season. Villa took the lead again through John Durkan before Kevin Langdon made it 3-1 from a set piece. Durkan doubled his tally for the evening to make it 4-1 but Crossmolina pulled two late goals back through Niall Coggins and Adam Gordon to make it a nervy ending for the away side. Villa keeper Seán Gallagher pulled off a wonderful save late on and Hugh Langdon’s side held out to secure the three points.

Newport/Mulranny Wanderers defence continued where it left off last season as they once again kept a clean sheet in a 1-0 win over Kilmore at Solar 21 Park. The sides went in level at the break in a half of very few chances and the deadlock was broken on sixty five minutes as substitute Steven Patten had the simplest task of tapping the ball into an empty net as he was first to a right wing cross from Damien Doyle. Kilmore pushed forward but failed to test the Newport/Mulranny keeper and the home side held on to get the three points against one of the sides that came up from League Two with them.

In the final game in League One Claremorris B scored a late penalty to deny Achill Rovers an opening day win as the sides had to be content with a point each after a 2-2 draw in Concannon Park. Claremorris B held a 1-0 lead at the break thanks to a strike from Nathan Ring inside the first minute as four Achill players attempted to clear the ball in the space of a few seconds but the ball fell to Ring and he made no mistake to score the opener. The away side were back on level terms early in the second half as Sean McNamara fired home the equaliser from the penalty spot. Achill then took the lead as Dean Guthrie scored on his return to the side but Claremorris never say die attitude earned them a point as Ring scored his second og the day as he stroked home the late spot kick to earn his side a share of the spoils.

CMR Fire & Security League Two
Ballyvary Blue Bombers and Castlebar Celtic B had to settle for a share of the spoils in their opening league match at Keelogues. After a scoreless first half Celtic took the lead through Terry Maughan but there was a dramatic end to the game to come as the Bombers hit back to take the lead before Maughan hit the eqauliser from the penalty spot. Shane Foy levelled the game before Mark Kilgallon then put the Bombers in front as he also fired home from the penalty spot but they couldn’t hold on as Celtic denied them a winning start to the season.

Conn Rangers B showed why they are one of the favourites to go up from League Two with a comprehensive 6-1 win over Crossmolina B on Sunday morning. The goals came from six different players as Paul Walsh, Ciaran Traynor, Josh Kelly, Kevin McDermott and Paul Hughes all found the net while Niall Coggins replied with the solitary goal for the away side.

John Kelly was the hero for Kiltimagh/Knock United B in the final game of the day in League Two as his late winner was enough to earn a 2-1 win over Hollister. Gavin Groarke scored the other for the home team while Danny Langdon hit Hollister’s only goal.


Our Sponsors...