Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo

Mayo Football League

News Report

Review of Sunday's Mayo League action


Kiltimagh/Knock United

Kiltimagh/Knock United and Conn Rangers to meet in the Calor Gas Premier Cup Final as Ballyhaunis Town are celebrating tonight after coming out on top in the relegation play-off at Solar 21 Park

Calor Gas Premier Cup

Kiltimagh/Knock United have been the favourites for this competition for a number of weeks but they had to work for the win as they earned a 4-2 win over a resilient Fahy Rovers side at CMS Park on Sunday morning. At half-time it looked like the home side were well on the way to the final thanks to goals from Kieran Jennings and Liam Groarke but Fahy had other ideas and came out a rejuvenated side at the start of the second half. Their star man Simon Duffy was once again in fine form as his quickfire brace had the sides level shortly after the break. Credit though must go to Kiltimagh/Knock who didn’t panic and made sure they would have another day out as Lionel Jordan and Dylan Webb added two further goals for Aiden Flatley’s side to finally put an end to Fahy’s chances of reaching the final for the second year in a row.

Conn Rangers also progressed to the final on the same scoreline as they proved too strong for League One side Westport United B at Mount Falcon. Clinical striker Eoin Prendergast was once again on the scoresheet as he opened the scoring just after the twenty minute mark and Brian Hughes doubled their advantage just before the break. Liam Durkin then added a third in the first minute after the break to put Conn Rangers well in control but Westport then threatened to make a game of it as Mark McNally got their opening goal of the game. This is as close as they were to get to a well drilled Conn Rangers outfit as Lorcan Towey then restored their three-goal advantage only for McNally to again cut their lead but Rangers weren’t to be denied as they reached their first final in Solar 21 Park since 2014.
Elverys Sports Super League
Ballyhaunis Town
had to come back from a goal down on two occasions as Tommy Page’s side ended Straide & Foxford United’s stay in the top division with a 4-2 win at Solar 21 Park. Conor Sherry got the North Mayo side of to the perfect start as he converted a second minute penalty after Michael Guilfoyle was fouled in the box. Ballyhaunis levelled before the break as Pat McGee got them back into the tie with a well taken goal. Within fifteen minutes of the restart Straide & Foxford were back in front as Lonan O’Farrell struck after Guilfoyle was again the creator. Minutes later and the sides were level for a second time as Gary Higgins calmly slotted home from the penalty spot. The next goal was always going to be crucial and it was Ballyhaunis that got it as he ball found its way to the back of the net of the head of a Straide & Foxford United defender after an initial effort was well saved by the keeper. Straide & Foxford went in search of the equaliser and the final goal of the game did come in injury tie but it went the way of Ballyhaunis as Gary Higgins scored his second of the day to end any hopes of a comeback and condemn the men in orange and black to Premier Division football next season.

Our Sponsors...