Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo

Mayo Football League

News Report

FAI Junior Cup Round 3 Review


FAI Junior Cup

Westport United ease past the challenge of Ballina Town while Castlebar Celtic, Ballyheane, Ballyhaunis Town, Kiltimagh/Knock United and Manulla all progress to the fourth round.

FAI Junior Cup Round 3

Jordan Loftus continued his amazing run of form in front of goal as he hit his sixth hat-trick in seven games as Castlebar Celtic progressed to Round 4 with a 5-1 win over Glenhest Rovers. The home side put in a good first half performance as they went in level at the break but Celtic and Loftus in particular stepped up their level of performance in the second half. Loftus had put Celtic in front ten minutes before the break and despite Glenhest levelling right on half time they were back in front a minute into the second half as Loftus doubled his tally for the day. Jason Hunt then got the all important third goal as he fired home a free-kick from the edge of the area. Loftus then added two more both from the penalty spot to complete another dominant performance by the Super League Champions and they will be one of the sides to avoid in the draw for Round 4.

Westport United put last week’s disappointing loss to Ballyglass behind them with a dominant display as they put three past Ballina Town without reply at United Park. Eoin Conway gave them a first half lead as he hit a sweet first time shot beyond the reach of Mark Duffy and into the top right-hand corner of the net. Westport doubled their lead midway through the second half as Darren Browne volleyed home a cross from Phil Keegan following a quick counter attack down the right wing by Mickey Feeney’s side. Ballina pushed men forward but were unable to really test Gary Cunningham in the Westport goal and the home side wrapped up the scoring when substitute Tim Campion scored their third in injury time.

Manulla are also in the draw for Round 4 after a 3-1 win over League Two side Moy Villa at Carramore earlier today. Enda McGahon and Darragh Byrne had them well in control early on with two early goals and despite Moy Villa pulling a goal back on thirty five minutes they restored their two goal advantage before the break as Dan Beya scored a truly brilliant goal. There were no further goals in the second half as Manulla moved to within one win of making the open draw.

Ballyheane ended Conn Rangers interest in the FAI Junior Cup with a resounding 8-2 win at Pat Quigley Park. Most of the damage was done in the first half as they went in with a 6-1 lead at the break as Conn Rangers felt the loss of a number of players from last weekend’s cup final team. Ben Edeh and Darragh Ludden both scored hat-tricks for Ashley Stevenson’s side while the other goals came from Jack Tuffy and Imoh Atoi. Eoin Prendergast and Owen McNamara scored the goals for the away side.

In the final game Ballyhaunis Town progressed after a penalty shootout win over Achill Rovers after the sides finished 2-2 after extra time. Goals from Alex Talmo and Kristoffer Toffer brought the game to extra time and penalties and it was Toffer who was the hero has he fired in the final penalty to send Tommy Page’s side into the Fourth Round.

Our Sponsors...