Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Westaro Masters League Review 6th December


Conn Rangers Masters League Team 2017/18

Manulla and Ballina Town hold a five point lead at the top of the Division 1 table after both picked up maximum points in Solar 21 Park on Wednesday last while Swinford B now lead the way in Divison 2

Manulla were in action for the opening game of the night as they overcame Fahy Rovers 3-2 in what was a tight and nervy game for the league leaders. Two goals from Tom Gill were cancelled out by efforts from Roger Clarke, Dermot McNicholas and Des Campbell. Fahy, who led 2-1 at the half-time break, pushed for an equaliser after falling behind with five minutes remaining but couldn’t break down a resolute Manulla defence.

Castlebar Celtic had things more their own way in the second match of the night as they overcame a struggling Straide & Foxford United 6-3. Since defeating Manulla in week three the East Mayo men have fallen to three defeats in a row. Brian Mannion was the star of the show for Celtic on his return from suspension, hitting four goals. Barry Redmond and Russell Gibbons, who finished the game playing in goal, scored the other goals. Brendan McHugh, Brendan Roche and Michael Prendergast hit the target for United.

Ballina Town kept pace with Manulla at the top of the table after receiving a walkover from Westport United who were unable to field a full team.

In division 2, Swinford ‘A’ fell to their first defeat of the season against Swinford ‘B’ who overtook the ‘A’ team at the top of the table with four games left to play.

It was a disappointing night for Swinford ‘A’ as they couldn’t follow up last week’s 11-0 drubbing of Manulla ‘B’ and saw Swinford ‘B’ hit them for seven goals, five of them unanswered in the second-half. Enda Campbell gave the ‘A’ team a great start after just a minute but from there it was all Swinford ‘B’ as goals from Paul Kenny, Tim Moriarty, two for Richie Conway  and a Gerry Henry hat-trick pushed the ‘B’ team to the top of the table. Gavin Groarke and Eoin Gallagher added to Campbell’s early opener for Swinford ‘A’.

Conn Rangers picked up their first win of the season on the field of play, winning 6-5 against the same team who granted them their only other three points with a walkover on the opening night. It looked like Conn would cruise to victory as two goals from Sean Carey and a hat-trick for Shane Sweeney had them cruising against Mulranny United. United came back at their North Mayo opponents, however, and had closed the gap to 5-4 before Sweeney hit his fourth goal in controversial circumstances. The Mulranny players were arguing with the referee for a free-kick as the Rangers striker played on and slotted an easy finish. Two goals each for Martin Moran and Kris Jablonski along with a Thomas Conway effort almost brought United their first point.

Manulla ‘B’ got their season back on track in the night’s final game with a 6-5 win over Kiltimagh & Knock United in what was easily the game of the night. Both sides held the lead at various times before Manulla ‘B’ came back from 5-3 down with about 10 minutes remaining. A late goal from Alan Rumley, added to a Keith Bourke hat-trick as well as goals from Darragh Lyons and Derek Duffy saw the men in blue sneak the win at the end. James Carthy, Jerome Hunt, Ray Hunt, Colm Kelly and Cristian Calugary thought they’d kept United’s unbeaten run going but for Rumley’s late intervention.