Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review Sun 23rd July


  • Castlebar Celtic - Westaro Cup Winners 2017
  • Snugboro United Tonra Cup winners 2017
  • Enda McGahon equalises for Manulla
  • Snugboro United lift the Tonra Cup

Castlebar Celtic and Snugboro United enjoy cup wins at Solar 21 Park as Iorras Aontaithe and Castlebar Celtic B get crucial wins to move closer to promotion.

Westaro Cup - Sponsored by Westaro Hosing

It took an extra time goal form substitute Gary Concannon to separate Castlebar Celtic and Manulla in today’s Westaro Cup Final at Solar 21 Park. Caltic got their day off to the perfect start when Anthony Johnson got on the end of a pass from Stevie Gavin to give his side the lead after only 30 seconds. Manulla didn’t let this change their game plan for the day but they did find it hard to create any clear cut chances as Celtic held firm at the back and even looked the more likely to add to their early goal as the first half went on. Manulla though did level with twenty minutes remaining when Enda McGahon struck from the penalty spot after Chris Maughan was fouled in t he box. There were to be no more goals in normal time as both defences stood up to everything that was thrown at them and the game went to extra time. The winning goal came in the first half of extra time when with two minutes remaining former Manulla player Gary Concannon hit the winner for his new club. Manulla did all they could to force the game to penalties but Celtic shut up shop at the back and shortly after the full time whistle Ioseph O’Reilly made his way up the steps to collect the Westaro Cup for Conor O Grady’s side.

Tonra Cup - Sponsored By Solar 21

Earlier in the day Snugboro United topped off a great week for the club when they won the Tonra Cup after a 1-0 win over Partry Athletic. Snugboro clinched promotion last weekend from League One and Alan Lyons first half strike was enough for them secure the first part of what looks like being a double winning season. Partry played some lovely football at periods in the game but the lack of an out and out goalscorer once again proved to be their downfall as it has on more than one occasion already this season as Snugboro picked up another clean sheet with another strong defensive display.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier League

Iorras Aontaithe have now got promotion to the Super League firmly in their sights after they picked up another three points earlier today in a hard fought 3-2 victory of their local rivals Bangor Hibs. In a game that had plenty of incidenta it was Brendan Nallen that once again proved to be the match winner for Iorras as he headed home the winning goal from a corner with 15 minutes remaining. Before that it was a pretty even game that saw Iorras take the lead twice through Jason Boylan only for Brian McHale to hit back almost immediately with two goals of his own on each occasion that Hibs went behind. Iorras though showed their experience and Nallen popped up to head the winner just when it looked like the sides would have to settle for a share of the spoils for a second time this season.

Kiltimagh/Knock United were probably the big winners of the day in the Premier league without kicking a ball as their nearest rivals Conn Rangers and Swinford played out a scoreless draw at Mount Falcon. The result probably ends Rangers hopes of a return to the top flight and Swinford are now four points behind Aiden Flatley’s side with just five games remaining.

Ballyhaunis Town travelled to the Courthouse looking to get their first away win of the season but once again they left without any points as Killala got what could prove to be a crucial win thanks to goals form Aiden Ferguson and Marc McDonnell. Feguson put Killala ahead with a long range free kick that deceived everyone before McDonnell doubled his side’s lead when he scored directly from a corner. Ballyhaunis did pull goal back late on but Killala weren’t to be denied as they held out to pick up all three points.

In the second big derby in the Premier League Westport United B and Fahy Rovers played out a thrilling 3-3 draw in what was probably the game of the day in this division. Fahy are still rooted to the bottom of the table but they will take great heart from this display as they kept Westport within touching distance at the bottom of the table. Fahy’s goals came from a wonder strike from Darren Creaby as well as a goal from Andrew Leahy and an unfortunate own goal from Westport.

Killeen Sports Ground League Two

On Saturday evening Castlebar Celtic B strengthened their position at the top of League Two with a 2-1 win over Newport Town. In last weekend’s cup final win over Kilmore player manager Bryan Mannion came off the bench to hit the winner and once again Mannion proved the difference between these two sides as he hit both first half goals for Celtic B. Newport did pull a goal back before the break but this was as good as it got for them as Celtic held on to go eight points clear at the top of the league.

In the other game in League Two Hollister moved into second position with a big win over Kiltimagh/Knock United B. Hollister have been on the end of some big defeats in recent years but this time it was their turn to do all the scoring as they picked up all three points to move ahead of Kilmore. The Hollister goals came courtesy of Danny Langdon (9), Brendan Lackey (2) and one each from Evan Coen, Martin Delaney, Chris Cunningham, Declan O’Connor, Stephen Cawley and Eamon Kenny.