Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review - 7th/8th April


  • Iorras Aontaithe v Manulla 08/04/18
  • Dwane Helly celebrates scoring v Claremorris
  • Nathan Reilly rises highest to head Iorras level
  • Brendan Lavelle about to score for Ballina Town
  • Ballina Town 5 v 2 Claremorris 07/04/2018

Swinford reached the Connacht Shield Final while Castlebar Celtic will look back on some missed chances as they fell at the semi final stage of the Connacht Cup

Castlebar Celtic hopes of Connacht Cup success were ended earlier today as Sligo/Leitrim side Carbury progressed to the final with a 2-0 win at Celtic Park. Celtic will feel they left this one behind as they failed to take their chances with the game changing moments coming in the second half. Celtic were much the better side for most of the first half but failed to make their dominance count as Carbury weathered the storm and put in a much better second half performance. A crucial save from a Liam Flatley effort by Mark Rooney in the Carbury goal proved decisive as minutes later Carbury took the lead when Ibrahim Savage whipped a free kick with pace at goal and Christoper Kelly glanced a header to completely wrong foot the keeper to give Carbury the all important first goal. Carbury then added a second when Christopher Kelly played a ball in behind which Ibrahim Savage raced on to and finished in style to put thegame out of reach. Celtic battled all the way to the end but unfortunately couldn’t breach the Carbury defence as the Sligo/Leitrim champions progressed to the final. 

Swinford though did make sure that Mayo would have a representative in a Connacht Final as they reached the Shield Final with a 3-1 away win over Galway side Colemanstown United after extra time. The game finished 1-1 at full time thanks to a goal from Joe Slevin and Liam Foy’s side grasped their opportunity as the tired legs began to show in extra time with Paddy O’Donnell and Peter McNicholas both hitting the back of the net to put them into a final with Kilkerrin United in a few weeks time.
In the Elverys Sports Super League Westport United made it three wins from three with a 2-0 win over Kiltimagh/Knock United at CMS Park. It proved to be a tough game for John Russell’s side but a goal in each half from Mark McDonagh and Darren Browne proved the difference between the sides. McDonagh bundled the first home from a corner midway through the first half and Browne added the second eight minutes into the second half. Kiltimagh/Knock gave a good account of themselves in their first home game of the season and Aiden Flatley will take a lot of positives from the game as they prepare to take on Castlebar Celtic in the Westaro Cup next weekend.

In the second Super League game on Saturday evening it looked like Claremorris might cause a bit of a shock as they raced into a two goal lead inside the opening twelve minutes away to Ballina Town. An unfortunate own goal from Ciaran Gaughan gave Mark Peter’s side the lead before Finnian Brady doubled their lead minutes later. Ballina did not panic and were back in the game before half time thanks to Brendan Lavelle and it was Lavelle that leveled matters after the break before Dwane Helly swung the game Ballina’s way as he put them in front. Lavelle then completed his hat trick and he also added a fourth to seal the points for Mick Duffy’s side.

On Sunday Straide & Foxford United took maximum points for the third game in a row as they were far too good for Ballyheane running out 5-0 winners in the end. They were 2-0 in front at the break as Daniel Gorman gave them the lead and ace striker John Durkan added the second. In the second half Straide & Foxford continued their dominance and added further goals through Johnnie Cocozza, Ashley Atkinson and Stephen Moyles.

Manulla picked up their first three points on Sunday afternoon after a 4-1 win over Iorras Aontaithe at Carne Nash. One of their Brazilian signings was to the fore in the opening half as Lucas DePaula fired Manulla in front early on with an excellent free-kick before Iorras hit back as Nathan Reilly rose highest to meet a corner and his header found the back of the Manulla net. In what was an even first half Manulla did go ahead on thirty five minutes when DePaula squared the ball to Frany DeSilva to tap home into an empty net. Iorras piled on the pressure early in the second half but failed to take any of the chances that fell to them with Brendan Nallen going closest with a header before Manulla got a goal against the run of play through the excellent Chris Maughan. From then on Manulla were the better side and Declan Tonra added a fourth goal with eight minutes remaining to put the result beyond doubt.

In the CastleCourt Hotel Premier Division Glenhest Rovers put in a very impressive second half performance as they came form behind to beat Snugboro United 2-1. In an even first half Snugboro went in a goal up as Sean Curry converted from the spot after a rash challenge in the box led to referee Kevin Cox awarding a penalty which Curry placed neatly into the bottom right hand corner of the net. Glenhest though piled on the pressure in the second half and leveled matters on sixty five minutes when they too were awarded a spot kick that David Walsh fired home. At this stage there looked like there would be only one winner and so it proved that way when Chris Rowland hit the decisive goal when he let fly an unstoppable half volley from thirty yards that skidded of the wet surface and into the net leaving the Snugboro keeper with no chance.

In the early kick-off on Sunday morning Conn Rangers picked up their first three points of the season with a hard fought 1-0 win over Ballyglass B. Mayo Under eighteen-star Eoin Prendergast was the difference between the sides as his goal was all that separated the teams in a tense affair.

Ballyhaunis Town impressive early season form continued with a 5-1 win against Achill Rovers. Gary Higgins was the star of the show as he scored a hat-trick while Sam Olabude and Hamad Althobhaney got their other goals as Tommy Page’s side moved to the top of the table and they have now scored seventeen goals in their opening three games.

There were plenty of goals in the Three Store League One clash between Castlebar Celtic B and Killala at Celtic Park as the away side came out on top in a seven goal thriller. At half time the game looked done and dusted as Killala led 3-0 thanks to goals from Kyle McLoughlin, Matthew Langdon-Long and Marc McDonnell. McLoughlin gave them the lead with a curling shot from the edge of the box after ten minutes before 16 year old Langdon-Long got his first goal for the club minutes later and McDonnell added the third on the half hour mark as he dinked the ball over the keeper after he was put clean through by a beautiful pass from the aforementioned McLoughlin. Killla made it 4-0 shortly after the break as Dominic Sweeney long range shot from 45 yards deceived the keeper and flew into the back of the Celtic net. To their credit Celtic didn’t give up and after introducing four subs they scored two quick goals with one of them coming from a brilliant turn and finish from Bryan Mannion from 25 yards. With minutes remaining Celtic reduced the deficit to a single goal after a mix up in the Killala defence but the men in yellow and blue were not to be caught and they held out to pick up their first three points of the season.

Manulla B have maximum points after their opening two games as two second half goals were enough to see off the challenge of Partry Athletic. Partry were unfortunate not to be ahead at half time as they missed a couple of good first half chances, but the second half was all Manulla and the introduction of Matty Nolan and Shane Durkan proved to be the difference between the sides. Nolan gave his side the lead as he finished neatly at the back post on seventy minutes and they put the game beyond the reach of the visitors when M.J. Canavan added a second despite the best efforts of Sean Og Burke in the Partry goal minutes later

Crossmolina recorded a big win over Kilmore to pick up their first win of the season with Kevin Campbell doing most of the damage as he hit a hit trick. Campbell put them in front from the penalty spot before Shane Hennigan doubled the lead midway through the first half. Kilmore were then reduced to ten men as Padraig McGinty was sent off for two bookable offences before half time and this more or less ended the game as a contest. Midway through the second half Fiachra Walsh made it three as he tapped home from close range before Campbell got his second minutes later. Kilmore did pull a goal back with six minutes remaining before Campbell completed his hat-trick with a fine solo goal to give Derek Greham’s side a much needed win.

Ballina Town B continue to impress as they once again picked up maximum points with a 7-3 win over Mulranny United. There was another hat-trick as Dale Hopkins scored three and Ballina picked up a comfortable win as Jason Muldoon, Ryan Moran, Conor Quinn and Shane Devers also got on the scoresheet.

In the Killeen Sports Ground League Two Newport Burrishoole and Claremorris B got their first points of the season with wins over Ballyvary Blue Bombers and Ballina United respectively. Newport were 3-1 winners at home to Ballyvary while Claremorris recorded a 5-2 win over Ballina United in Concannon Park.