Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review - 5th/6th May


  • Ballyglass 1 v 4 Castlebar Celtic 05/05/18
  • Ballyglass 1 v 4 Castlebar Celtic 05/05/18
  • Ballyglass 1 v 4 Castlebar Celtic 05/05/18

Kilkerrin United defeated Swinford in the Connacht Shield Final while Castlebar Celtic and Kiltimagh/Knock United picked up vital wins in the Super League

TP Brennan Connacht Shield 

Swinford just fell short in their attempt to win the Connacht Shield Title as they fell to a 1-0 defeat to Kilkerrin United in Lecarrow. An injury time strike at the end of the first half from Declan Murphy was enough to seal the victory for the Roscommon League side. 

Elverys Sports Super League
Despite being a goal down at half time Castlebar Celtic put in a stunning second half performance to record a 4-1 win over Ballyglass. Ger O’Boyle was the hero for Michael McNicholas side as he struck a second half hat-trick. O’Boyle leveled the scores just a minute into the second half and then had his side in front 15 minutes later. Mark Rowland then added a third shortly after before O’Boyle completed his hat-trick as the game entered its final stages. The win moves Celtic into second place just two points behind leaders Ballina Town.

Kiltimagh/Knock United moved out of the relegation zone as they secured their first win of the season with a 2-1 win over Ballyheane. Brian Morley gave the home side the lead on 9 minutes as he struck an unstoppable shot into the top corner from 25 yards. Ballyheane did come close to scoring on a few occasions but the crucial second goal also went the way of Kiltimagh/Knock as Liam Groarke made it 2-0 midway through the second half. Ballyheane did grab a consolation goal late on but Kiltimagh/Knock held out to secure a deserved three points.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier League
Conn Rangers put in an excellent second half performance as they picked up all three points with a 4-0 win over Bangor Hibs at Ballybeg Park. Darragh Jordan put them in front with a brilliant 25 yard strike that flew into the top corner. In an even first half there were plenty chances for both sides but Jordan’s goal was all that separated the sides at the break. The second half was a real one sided affair as Conn Rangers hit three goals in twenty minutes to pick up their second win of the season. Paul Hughes, Eoin Prendergast and Luke Ruane provided the goals as Rangers slick passing and movement was just too much for the home side.

Achill Rovers got heir first home win of the season as they ran out 5-0 winners over Fahy Rovers on Saturday evening. Two early penalties from Mark Davitt and a third goal from Anthony McHugh on twenty-eight minutes had them well in control at the break. Chris Western added a fourth on fifty-two minutes and Brandon McGing wrapped up the scoring as he made it 5-0 on seventy three minutes. The win moved Achill up top fourth place and right back into the hunt for promotion with a crucial game against Glenhest Rovers to come next weekend.