Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review - 30th June/1st July


  • Claremorris v Ballina Town - 02/07/18
  • Claremorris v Ballina Town - 02/07/18
  • Claremorris v Ballina Town - 02/07/18
  • Claremorris v Ballina Town - 02/07/18

Ballina Town's unbeaten run finally came to an end thanks to a 1-0 defeat in Claremorris while Swinford and Snugboro progressed to the Tuohy Cup Final

Tuohy Cup Semi Finals

Swinford became the first side to reach the Tuohy Cup final as they had a convincing 4-0 win over Achill Rovers in the first semi final on Saturday evening. They had four different scorers last night with the goals coming from Chris Reddington, Martin Murphy, Paddy O’Donnell and Joe Slevin as the 2016 winners progressed to their second final in three years.

On Sunday morning Snugboro United joined Swinford in the final as they came from behind to grind out a 3-1 win over Conn Rangers. Conn Rangers were ahead ten minutes before the break and they held the lead until the 75th minute when substitute Sean Curry levelled the scores. Curry then put Snugboro ahead before another substitute Robert Ehlert completed the scoring minutes late. The win was Snugboro’s eleventh in a row as the form side in the league set themselves up perfectly for next weekend’s top of the table clash with Glenhest Rovers.

Elverys Sports Super League
In the Elverys Sports Super League there was only one game on Saturday night as Ballyheane picked up a crucial point at home to second place Straide & Foxford United as the sides drew 3-3 at Pat Quigley Park. The point moved Ballyheane out of the relegation zone as Sean Kilcoyne scored twice and Ben Edeh got their other goal as Joe Remond’s side put a dent in Straide & Foxford United’s title aspirations. Daniel Gorman has hit an impressive run of form lately and this continued on Saturday as he scored twice to bring his league tally to six goals while Stephen Moyles was also on target for Gary Byrne’s side.

On Sunday afternoon league leaders Ballina Town unbeaten run came to an end as Claremorris picked up all three points with a 1-0 win at Concannon Park. Claremorris went into the game full of confidence as they were also on a six game unbeaten run and Mark Peters side took full advantage of a below par performance from Ballina as a first half goal from Simon Butler proved the difference between the sides.
Westport United moved to within two points of Straide & Foxford United with a 1-0 win over relegation threatened Kiltimagh/Knock United. After a goalless first half the home side took the lead just before the hour mark as Darren Browne scored a brilliant goal from the edge of the area. Westport have the chance to move into second place next weekend if they can claim all three points in their rearranged game against Castlebar Celtic.

After picking up just one point in their opening nine games, Iorras Aontaithe have now won two games in a row to leave themselves just three points from safety at the bottom of the Super League after a 4-2 win over Manulla. Iorras went in level at the break after coming from behind as Tom McAndrew equalised direct from a corner. Iorras then took a two goal lead as Ryan Ruddy and Ivan Barrett put them in control of the game. Manulla pulled a goal back to set up a frantic finish to the game but Ruddy then secured the points for Paul Reilly’s side as he hit his second goal in the final minutes.

Three Store League One
Ballina Town B
moved five points clear of Killala in the promotion spots with a comprehensive 11-0 win over Mulranny United. The goals came from Dale Hopkins (3), Shane Devers (2), Jamie Moyles (2), Jordan Delaney (2), Jason Muldoon and Eric Monk. The remain two points behind Manulla B at the top of the table but the sides meet on Saturday evening where the Town will have the chance to become the new league leaders.

The leaders Manulla B had to dig deep to grind out a win against Partry Athletic on Saturday evening as they came away with a 1-0 win to keep their place at the top of League One.
Killala’s promotion hopes took another blow as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Castlebar Celtic B on Sunday afternoon. They have now only picked up two points from nine in their last three games and they are now five points behind Ballina Town B in second place.

moved five points clear of the relegation zone as they came out on top in a seven goal thriller against Kilmore on Sunday afternoon. It was a much needed win for Derek Grehem’s side with Shane Hennigan scoring twice and the other goals coming from Eoin Corcoran and an Ian Gordon penalty. The defeat leaves Kilmore just four points ahead of Partry Athletic who occupy the second relegation spot with the sides meeting in Partry on Sunday in a relegation six pointer.

Killeen Sports Ground League Two
On Saturday evening Ballina United renewed their hopes of promotion from League Two with a 3-2 win away to Ballyvary Blue Bombers. Ballyvary needed the win to keep in touch with the two teams above them but for the second time in three  weeks they were beaten by a strong Ballina United side.

Hollister were minutes away of going eight points clear at the top of League Two as Claremorris B struck a late equaliser to keep the gap at five points.
In an entertaining first half that produced some quality football, it was Claremorris who had the first opportunity to open the scoring when they were awarded a penalty on 17 mins but Hollister 'keeper John Langdon saved well from Paul Maloneys spot kick.
It was Hollister that opened the scoring on the half hour when Marcus Hunt got on the end of a well weighted through ball and deftly chipped the keeper to make it 1-0 at the break.
Maloney came closest to equalising but was unlucky to see his brilliantly taken free come back off the under side of the crossbar with Langdon beaten in the Hollister goal.
Hollister twice thought they had secured the points when first they had the ball in the net on 75 minutes but it was adjudged to be offside and two minutes later Anthony Loftus looked to have secured the three points for Hollister but after intercepting a pass in the Claremorris box, his shot came off both posts before being cleared to safety.
Claremorris piled on the pressure and eventually got their reward deep in injury time, when another Paul Maloney delivery was flicked on to find James Ruane at the back post who finished to the back of the net. For the neutral, this was a highly entertaining game with periods of quality football and both sides giving everything.