Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review - 28th/29th July


  • Tuohy Cup Final 2018 - Swinford v Snugboro United
  • Tuohy Cup Final 2018 - Austin Lacey challenges Chris Reddington
  • Snugboro United - Tuohy Cup Champions 2018
  • Tuohy Cup Final Man Of The Match Michael McDonnell (Snugboro United)
  • Tuohy Cup Finalists 2018 - Swinford

Snugboro United win the Tuohy Cup as Robert Ehlert scores an extra time winner to break Swinford hearts and Ballina Town moved further clear at the top of the Super League

Tuohy Cup Final

Snugboro United had to dig deep to grind out a 2-1 win over Swinford after extra time in sun drenched Solar 21 Park on Sunday afternoon. Snugboro had to play over 90 minutes with ten men after Austin Lacey was sent off for two bookable offences early on. In a first half that was low on clear cut chances the deadlock was finally broken on 41 minutes when Ronan McTigue headed home a freekick from Alan Lyons just as Swinford were trying to reorganise after losing David Brady to a nasty head injury. Swinford responded almost immediately as Paddy O’Donnell poked the ball home after his initial attempted pass was deflected back into his path on the edge of the six-yard box. Swinford dominated possession in the second half but failed to create any meaningful chances until the last few minutes when O’Donnell thought he had won the tie only for Jason Ormsby to get a crucial touch to his goal bound shot. Extra Time was much the same as Swinford continued to have most of the ball but just as it looked like penalties would be needed Robert Ehlert produced a moment of magic to continue Snugboro’s amazing winning run. Ehlert picked the ball up on the left wing and beat two Swinford defenders before firing the ball low past Gavin Moore at his near post with just two minutes remaining. Swinford pushed everyone forward for the remaining minutes but were unable to breakdown the stubborn Snugboro defence and Aaron Curry’s side were celebrating as John Mulroe blew the final whistle.   

Elverys Sports Super League
Westport United
moved ahead of Straide & Foxford United with an 8-0 win over Gary Byrne’s side on Saturday evening. It took John Russell’s side 28 minutes to break down the Straide & Foxford defence when Jack Murphy slotted home a penalty after he was upended in the box. After a long break for an injury to a Straide & Foxford player Jesper Frisch doubled their lead a minute after the action resumed. Joe Lawless then made it 3-0 before half-time with a neat finish at the back post after Straide & Foxford failed to properly clear a corner. It was all Westport in the second half and Brandon Scahill scored their fourth after 50 minutes. Jesper Frisch then got his second after a mistake by the Straide & Foxford keeper and Adam Mulchrone made it six five minutes later. Mulchrone then got his second after some good work by Frisch & Scahill before he completed his hat-trick a few minutes later.

Manulla eased their relegation woes and added to Ballyheane’s with another win as they got revenge for their defeat earlier in the season to with a 4-2 win in Carramore. An early Paul Lawless double gave Manulla an early lead before Ballyheane pulled one back through Cillian Redmond before the break. Damien Walsh then restored Manulla two goal cushion but it was far from a comfortable finish to the game as Redmond scored his second for Ballyheane only for Roger Clarke to seal the three points with the final goal of the game late on.

Castlebar Celtic suffered their first home league defeat in just over two years as relegation threatened Kiltimagh/Knock United put in a brilliant performance to come away with a 4-2 win. The long unbeaten record had to come to an end sometime, but Michael McNicholas side will be very disappointed with the manner of the defeat. Liam Groarke hit a hat-trick with the other goal coming from Dylan Roche as Aiden Flatley’s side moved above Ballyheane and out of the relegation spots.

On Sunday morning Claremorris stayed in the hunt for second place with a 3-1 win over neighbours Ballyglass. The goals for Claremorris came from Danny Broderick, Simon Butler and Andrew Peters as they made in ten games unbeaten in all competitions.

In the final Super League game of the weekend Ballina Town moved ten points clear at the top of the table with another big win over Iorras Aontaithe. Dylan Edwards took his league tally to nine goals as he hit four in the 9-0 win. Benny Lavelle also scored a hat-trick while Fabiano Macario and Jamie Cawley hit the other goals.

Three Store League One
In League One Ballina Town B continued on from their Tonra Cup win with a 4-0 win over Kilmore on Saturday evening. Jason Muldoon, Frank Irwin, Shane Devers and Jordan Delaney were on target for John Conway’s side as they bid to keep the pressure on Manulla B at the top of the table while Kilmore drop into the relegation places with just three games remaining.
Killala continued their pursuit of Ballina Town B with a hard fought 3-2 win over their near neighbours Crossmolina on Sunday morning. Killala had to come from behind on two occasions before the returning Rory Gallagher hit the winner with a wonderful volley from the edge of the area. Tommie Loftus was on target with the other two goals as Vincent Kearney’s side stayed within two points of the promotion spots.

Partry Athletic picked up a crucial win on Sunday afternoon as they came away with a 1-0 at Celtic Park over Castlebar Celtic B. The win moved them out of the relegation zone as a strong defensive performance was the key to this win as the decisive strike came in the final five minutes when Tom Byrne played in Mark Gibbons and he curled his shot from the edge of the area to the keepers left which sparked wild celebrations on the Partry bench.

Killeen Sports Ground League Two
Ballyvary Blue Bombers
blew the title race wide open with a 2-1 win over league leaders Hollister on Saturday evening as they moved to within two points of Vinny Coen’s side going into the final three games of the season. Ballyvary took the lead inside the opening twenty minutes thanks to Padraig Ó Faoláin and took the lead into the break. Stephen Cawley equalised almost immediately in the second half but Ballyvary went on to get the next goal as Paul Basquille hit the winner and they held on to claim a massive three points.

Ballina United suffered a mini cup hangover as they went 2-0 down to bottom of the table Newport Burrishoole but they recovered to claim a point as James Muldoon struck twice to take a share of the spoils in the other League Two game on Saturday evening.