Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review - 28th/29th April


  • Hollister v Ballina United 29/04/18
  • Iorras Aontaithe v Manulla 29/04/18
  • Jarlath O'Malley scores the winner for Balyheane v Manulla
  • Fabiano Macario scores for Ballina Town
  • Malachy McCarron scores for Hollister v Ballina United

Ballina Town set the early pace in the Super League as Manulla B, Ballina Town B, Killala and Crossmolina progress to the semi finals of the Tonra Cup

Tonra Cup

On Saturday evening Ballina Town B progressed to the next round of the Tonra Cup as an impressive first half performance got them past the challenge of Partry Athletic. A Jamie Moyles double had a great strike from Brian Kenny on the stroke of half time put Philly Devers side in control. Partry did grab a consolation goal in the second half but in truth they never really threatened the Ballina defence too much as they put themselves in the draw for the semi-finals.

Manulla B continued their perfect start to the season with a hard fought 4-2 win over Kilmore in Carramore on Saturday evening. Damien Walsh gave Manulla a half time lead before Roger Clarke doubled their lead right after half time. Kilmore pulled a goal back shortly after Clarke got his second of the game as Mossy Lally’s side took control of the game. Kilmore again pulled to within one goal of their hosts going into the last five minutes, but Dessie Campbell finally put the game to bed with a goal just before the final whistle.

Crossmolina also made it through to the semi finals with another 4-1 win over Castlebar Celtic B. Just like in their league encounter two weeks ago it was Khalafalla Khalafalla that did the damage as he scored a brace while Shane Hennigan and Shaun Cadden were also on target for Derek Grehem’s side.

Elverys Sports Super League
There were a few unexpected results in the top division on Saturday evening as Ballyheane, Kiltimagh/Knock United and Straide & Foxford United all took points from their games against Manulla, Castlebar Celtic and Westport United respectively.
In Celtic Park Ballyheane got their second win of the season as a 90th minute strike from Jarlath O’Malley secured another massive three points for Joe Redmond’s side against local rivals Manulla. That win moves Ballyheane ahead of Manulla in the table and as they look a much stronger side than last year where they needed a relegation play-off win over Glenhest Rovers to stay up

At CMS Park Kiltimagh/Knock United came close to picking up all three points when they drew 2-2 with Castlebar Celtic as Liam Groarke missed a second half penalty. Celtic went ahead through Gary Concannon on 17 minutes but Kiltimagh/Knock struck back as Simon Jordan leveled the scores. Liam Flatley then had Celtic back in front just before half time as he hit his fifth league goal of the season. Kiltimagh/Knock though were not to be outdone and veteran striker Andy Leadbetter made it 2-2 on the hour mark before Groarke missed the chance to win it from the spot after Leadbetter was deemed to have been fouled in the box.

Straide & Foxford United put last weekend’s disappointing defeat to Claremorris behind them as they picked up a point against the Champions Westport United on Saturday evening. John Durkan gave them a half time lead as he raced onto a brilliant through ball from Mark Moyles to beat Gary Cunningham with a clever chip that allowed him to finish as the Westport defence failed to react in time. It took just ten minutes of the second half for Westport to respond as Peter Corcoran headed home a right wing cross from Danny Scahill as Straide & Foxford failed to clear a freekick from the left wing.

On Sunday Ballina Town moved three points clear at the top of the table as they picked up another three points with a 4-1 win away to Iorras Aontaithe. Dylan McKee (2), Fabiano Macario and Duane Helly were the men on target for Mick Duffy’s side as they continued their unbeaten start to the season.

Jp O’Gorman was the hero as he struck all four goals in another seven goal thriller between Ballyglass and Claremorris in Michale Keaveaney Park as Tom Connolly’s side picked up there first three points of the season after a 4-3 win. Ronan Commons gave Claremorris the lead early on before O’Gorman levelled matters only for Dean Roddy to put the away side back in front at half time. It didn’t take long for Ballyglass to turn things around as O’Gorman struck twice early in the second half to complete his hat-trick. Claremorris once again leveled the scores before O’Gorman hit the winner to earn his side a much needed three points.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier League
Snugboro United
 moved into 2nd place overnight as they picked up another three points with a 3-0 win away to Ballyglass B.
All the goals came in a very impressive first half with Kevin Curry bundling home the opener before Jason Ormsby doubled the lead. Kevin Curry headed home his second to make it 3-0 going into the break as Aaron Curry’s side continued their excellent start to the season.

The eagerly anticipated clash between Swinford and Ballyhaunis Town failed to live up to it’s billing as both sides had to settle for a share of the spoils in a goalless draw at James McEvaddy Park.

In the early game on Sunday morning Glenhest Rovers moved three points clear at the top of the Premier Division with a 4-1 win over Westport United B. It took just 30 seconds for Cathal Chambers to give Glenhest the lead as Damian Walsh’s side started brilliantly. Westport went in level at the break thanks to a PJ Calvey strike but Glenhest dominated the second half and ran out convincing winners in the end. Jack O’Shea put them back in front on forty six minutes and Kevin Warde added a third on fifty five minutes before Chambers added a fourth from the penalty spot.
Bangor Hibs can thank their keeper Pat McHale as they came away from Fr. O’Brien Park with a hard-earned point after a 1-1 draw with Achill Rovers.
Hibs took the lead on 27 minutes when Brian McHale scored a stunning free kick as he stuck an unstoppable shot from 30 yards that found the top right corner of the net. Achill dominated the second half and equalised just before the hour mark when Chris Western headed home a right wing cross from Kevin Carey. McHale then produced at least three stunning saves as Western again came close and two long range efforts from Joe Murray also tested the young netminder.
Fahy Rovers got their first win of the season as they remain unbeaten after their opening three games after a 2-1 win away to Conn Rangers. Gareth Jordan got his second goal in as many games and an Ian Higgins strike had Fahy in control before Luke Clayton pulled a goal back for Joe Faugnan’s side.
Killeen Sports Ground League Two
Probably the biggest crowd of the weekend turned out in Belleek for the Ballina derby between Hollister and Ballina United. It was Hollister who came away with all three points in an entertaining encounter which seen them maintain their 100% record in the league.
Stephen Cawley got Hollister off to the perfect start after just four minutes with a strike from the edge of the box.
Five minutes later it was 2-0 when Malachy McCarron slotted home from the spot after a foul in the box.
After a terrible start Ballina United started to find a foothold in the game and got themselves back in contention when Shane Maughan capitalised on some sloppy Hollister defending to score from close range on seventeen mins.
Five minutes into the second half, Stephen McDonagh restored the two-goal advantage for Hollister when he got on the end of a pinpoint cross to hammer home a header from six yards.
Malachy McCarron seemed to put the game beyond doubt on 75 minutes when he converted his second penalty of the day, but Ballina United kept battling and Brad Langdon made it 4-2 with ten minutes left with what was probably the best goal of the day with a strike from the edge of the box.

Claremorris B moved into second spot with a 5-1 win over Newport Burrishoole on Sunday afternoon as the newcomers to League Two continued to impress in their debut season.