Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review 26th/27th August


  • Castlebar Celtic B - League Two Winners 2017
  • Seamus Hughes presents the League Two Cup to Nicky Canning of Castlebar Celtic B
  • Castlebar Celtic v Ballyglass
  • Manulla v Glenhest Rovers
  • Manulla v Glenhest Rovers

Iorras Aontaithe and Castlebar Celtic B crowned Premier League and League Two Champions respectively as Achill Rovers and Ballyvary Blue Bombers drop down a division.

In the Elverys Sports Super League it’s as we were at both the top of the table as Westport United continued their excellent winning streak as they made it nine wins in a row with a 4-1 win over Achill Rovers. Padraig Folan had the Covies in front at the break before Achill made it 1-1 just before the hour mark as they looked to put a dent in Westport’s title hopes. Westport performance levels went up a gear and they made sure of the points with three further goals from James O’Donnell, Jack Murphy and Philip Keegan. The defeat confirmed Achill’s relegation to the Premier League as they struggled on their return to the Super League

Manulla stayed within three points of the leaders with a convincing 6-0 win over Glenhest Rovers.

Castlebar Celtic also had a convincing win over Ballyglass as they secured a 5-1 win at Celtic Park. Jose Navarro gave Celtic the lead before Jason Hunt (2) and Daniel O’Toole had them 4-0 in front at the break. Ballyglass did pull a goal back before O’Toole got his second of the day as Celtic picked up another three points.

In the other two Super League games Ballina Town defeated Ballyheane 3-2 thanks to goals from Dylan McKee, Luke Honan and Ciaran Gaughan while Straide & Foxford United moved clear of Claremorris in 4###sup/sup### position with a 2-1 win at Concannon Park. Paul Moran and Jack Cully were on target for Straide & Foxford while Derek Glynn hit the lone reply for Claremorris,

 In the CastleCourt Hotel Premier League Iorras Aontaithe were crowned Premier League champions following a 3-0 win over Fahy Rovers. They continued to remain unbeaten in the league and the result never looked in doubt after Jason Boylan gave them the lead after just 40 seconds. Brendan Nallen doubled their lead midway through the second half before Ivan Barrett completed the scoring with eight minutes remaining.

At the other end of the table not much has changed after this weekend’s results as Crossmolina remain bottom of the table after a 5-2 defeat to Swinford.

Killala and Bangor Hibs also remain in real danger of relegation after defeats to Conn Rangers and Westport B respectively.

Killala were well beaten in Mount Flacon as Conn Rangers won 5-0 through goals from Luke Ruane (2), Eoin Prendergast, Luke Clayton and Lorcan Towey while Bangor Hibs lost 2-0 at Westport United B thanks to two wonder strikes from Vinny O’Malley.

The final relegation spot in the Solar 21 League One was finally decided as Ballina Town B got the win they needed to leave Ballyvary Blue Bombers in the second relegation spot. Ballina’s impressive 7-3 win over League One champions Snugboro United meant Ballyvary needed to pick up the three points away to Partry Athletic but they were edged out in a five goal thriller as Partry won 3-2

In the Killeen Sports Ground League Two Castlebar Celtic B picked up the League Two title after they had a solid 5-0 win over Kiltimagh/Knock United B. Player/Manager Bryan Mannion was the star of the show once again as he scored all four goals in the first half before Nicky Canning added a fifth goal midway through the second half.