Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review - 23rd/24th June


  • Ballina Town v Castlebar Celtic 24/06/18
  • Ballina Town B v Manulla B - 24/06/18
  • Ballina Town B v Manulla B - 24/06/18
  • Ballina Town B v Manulla B - 24/06/18
  • Ballina Town v Castlebar Celtic 24/06/18
  • Ballina Town v Castlebar Celtic 24/06/18

Ballina Town B and Killala will meet in the Tonra Cup Final while Ballina Town put in another impressive display in the Super League and Snugboro made it ten wins in a row in all competitions.

Tonra Cup Semi Finals 

In the first semi final Ballina Town B proved much to strong for Manulla B as they were 3-0 winners in the early game in Belleek. Manulla B went into this game two points clear of the Town in League One but Ballina were much the better side and made it through to the final thanks to goals from Dale Hopkins, Darragh Quinn and Eric Monk.
In the second semi final it took a penalty shootout to separate the North Mayo rivals as Killala made it through to the final with a win over Crossmolina. The sides went in level at half time mainly thanks to Killala keeper Danny Gallagher who saved a first half penalty. It was Crossmolina that hit the front though early in the second half thanks to a freekick from John Walsh and this was a lead they held until three minutes to go when Killala finally leveled the scoring. The equaliser came from another freekick as Kevin Whyte hit an unstoppable shot from 25 yards to send the game into extra time. There were to be no more goals and the tie was settled by the dreaded penalty shootout where Killala prevailed on a 4-3 scoreline. Gallagher saved Crossmolina fifth attempt and that gave Tommie Loftus the chance to be the hero and he made no mistake as he sent his side into the final.

Elverys Sports Super League

An injury time penalty was enough for Straide & Foxford United to win a seven goal thriller against Kiltimagh/Knock United at CMS park on Saturday evening. Kiltimagh/Knock dominated the early stages and went 2-0 in front thanks to goals from Brian Morley and Michael McGarry but Paul Moran’s strike on the stroke of half time provided the away side with the momentum going into the second half. Straide & Foxford then showed why they are second in the table as two goals from ace striker John Durkan put them in front only for Liam Groarke to level matters in the dying minutes to seemingly earn another valuable point for the Super League newcomers. It wasn’t to be though as Daniel Gorman made no mistake from the penalty spot deep into injury time to leave Kiltimagh/Knock in the relegation zone.
Manulla won their second game in a row with a 1-0 win over local rivals Ballyglass to move level on points with their neighbours as they have started to put their relegation fears behind them. Midfielder Paul Lawless was the hero as it was his strike that was the difference between the sides

Ballina Town’s unbeaten record is still intact as they had another big win over Castlebar Celtic as they recorded a 6-2 win in Belleek. Brendan Lavelle’s first half double had Ballina in control at the break but Celtic pulled a goal back through a Ger O’Boyle penalty seven minutes into the second half. This was as good as it got for Celtic as Ballina took control from then on as new signing Dylan Edwards scored twice while Fabiano Macario and Ciaran Gaughan added further goals before Ioseph O’Reilly grabbed a consolation goal for Celtic near the end.

Ballyheane remain in relegation trouble after Claremorris got revenge for their defeat earlier in the season with a convincing 5-1 win on Sunday afternoon. Claremorris have been in good form of late and this continued this weekend as Andy Peters (2), Simon Butler, Danny Broderick and David Grant scored as Mark Peters side moved level on points with Castlebar Celtic in joint 4th position.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier League

In the CastleCourt Hotel Premier League Ballyhaunis Town remain in the hunt for promotion after a 5-1 win over bottom of the table Westport United B. Andrew Cunnane has returned to his old club and he made an immediate impact as he scored a hat trick and his addition to the squad is sure to add another dimension to this already very exciting attacking outfit. The other goals came from Gary Higgins and Dayo Adex as Ballyhaunis moved to within two points of Glenhest Rovers in second place.

Snugboro United’s winning run now stretches to ten games in all competitions, but they had to come from behind to grind out a 3-2 win over Achill Rovers in Fr. O’Brien Park. Snugboro went ahead early on thanks to a goal from Kevin Curry, but that lead was short lived as Achill scored twice in three minutes with Brandon McGing equalising on fifteen minutes before Joe Murray got their second just minutes later.
Snugboro though dug out the win as Ben Lynch brought the sides level on the hour mar before Alan Lyons hit the winner five minutes later for Aaron Curry’s side.

On Sunday morning Swinford got back to winning ways with a 3-0 win over Conn Rangers. Paddy O’Donnell made a return to the Swinford first eleven and he was back amongst the goals as he was on target twice with the third goal coming from Martin Murphy.
Fahy Rovers pulled off the surprise result of the weekend with a brilliant 3-1 win over promotion hopefuls Glenhest Rovers. The Fahy goals were courtesy of a brace from Simon Duffy while Niall O’Malley was also on target to move his side five points clear of the relegation zone. The defeat leaves Glenhest three points behind leaders Snugboro and the two sides are due to meet in two weeks time in a game that could go a long way to deciding the Premier League title winners.

In the final game in the Premier League Bangor Hibs were 3-0 winners away to Ballyglass B. Ballyglass B came closest to opening the scoring early on as Shane Ryan shot just went past the post but it was Anthony Coyle that gave the away side the lead with a well struck left foot volley on twenty minutes. Brian McHale had Hibs further in front ten minutes later as he scored from the penalty spot after a foul on Donal Connolly to give his side a comfortable lead at the break. Ballyglass piled on the pressure in the second half but McHale made certain of the points for Jimmy Flannery’s side with his second of the game with ten minutes remaining.

Killeen Sports Ground League Two

Hollister remain on top of the Killeen Sports Ground League Two after another win over Newport Burrishoole. As usual goals are guaranteed when these two sides meet, and Hollister came out on top with a 4-2 win in Solar 21 Park. Danny Langdon continued his good form in front of goal scoring twice with the other goals coming from Jamie Forde and Stephen Cawley.