Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review - 21st/22nd July


  • Ballina Town B's Dale Hopkins celebrates scoring his side second goal
  • Ballina United McDonnell Cup Champions 2018
  • Ballina Town McDonnell Cup Champions 2018
  • Ballina United's Trevor Marshall receives the McDonnell Cup from Blackie Gavin

Ballina Town are Tonra Cup Champions while Ballina United clinched the McDonnell Cup in a day of high drama at Solar 21 Park.

McDonnell Cup Final                                                                                                                                                                                                

The big local derby didn’t disappoint as Ballina United defeated near neighbours Hollister to claim the McDonnell Cup in a ding dong battle on Sunday afternoon. In a frantic start to the match there were three goals in the opening six minutes as Hollister went into a 2-1 lead. Danny Langdon opened the scoring from the spot on three minutes before Shane Maughan equalised two minutes later as he capitalised on a mix up in the Hollister defence. Within a minute Hollister were back in front as Anthony Loftus scored their second goal of the game with a nice finish from inside the box. The chances did not stop there but we had to wait until the half hour mark for the next goal as veteran James Muldoon rolled back the years as he raced through on goal to coolly slot the ball past John Langdon in the Hollister goal. Martin McDonagh then put United in front just two minutes later to leave his side ahead at the break. Trevor Marshall had the chance to extend his sides lead but missed from the spot before Daniel Moyles popped up to put the game out of the reach of Hollister with his sides 4th and 5th goals. Man of the match Shane Maughan then completed the scoring as he scored his second of the day with a left foot finish from inside the box.

Tonra Cup Final:
In the Tonra Cup Final Ballina Town B claimed victory thanks to two second half goals as they defeated Killala 2-0 in the second game at Solar 21 Park on Sunday afternoon. After a tense first half Ballina Town opened the scoring on fifty five minutes when man of the match Dale Hopkins calmly finished past Danny Gallagher in the Killala goal after he found himself through on goal. Fifteen minutes later Shane Devers got the crucial second goal with a neat finish under Gallagher as he got on the end of a brilliant through ball as Killala began to leave gaps at the back as they pushed forward looking for the equaliser.

Elverys Sports Super League
Ballina Town increased their lead at the top of the table with a 5-0 win away to Ballyglass on Saturday evening. Dylan Edwards had his side ahead at the break as he opened the scoring with an effort from the edge of the box on 35 minutes. Ballina increased their lead on 53 minutes when Benny Lavelle slotted home a penalty after he was fouled in the box and Edwards made it 3-0 just nine minutes later. Edwards then completed his hat-trick before Dylan McKee finished of the scoring with ten minutes remaining.
Claremorris came from behind on three occasions to share the spoils with Straide & Foxford United in a very entertaining game at Green Road. Straide & Foxford went in front on three occasions but Claremorris showed great heart and determination to equalise each time with the final goal coming in the last minute of the game. Paul Moran scored a double for Straide & Foxford with Simon Helly grabbing the other while Danny Broderick hit two for Claremorris with their other goal coming from Simon Butler as Mark Peters side maintained their nine game unbeaten run.

Castlebar Celtic condemned Iorras Aontaithe to their biggest defeat of the season as they picked up their first league win in a while with an 8-0 win in Carne Nash. Jason Hunt scored an incredible six goals while Ger O’Boyle got the other two as Celtic moved back in contention for second place

Manulla moved six points clear of the drop zone with an impressive 3-0 win away to Kiltimagh/Knock United on Sunday afternoon. Gary McHale, Martty Nolan and Enda McGahon scored the goals for Connie Morrissey’s to leave Kiltimagh/Knock still fighting for survival in ninth place.

Ballyheane picked up a very important point as they held champions Westport United to a scoreless draw to move two points clear of the relegation spots. Ballyheane had already beaten Westport earlier in the season and Joe Redmond’s side will be delighted to have picked up four points from their two meetings.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier League
In the CastleCourt Hotel Premier League Snugboro United moved closer to clinching promotion with a 3-2 win away fellow promotion rivals Swinford. Aaron Curry’s side have now won fourteen games in a row in all competitions but they had to work for their win on Saturday evening as they fought back from 2-0 down. Joe Slevin got both of Swinford’s goals but Sean Curry (pen), Jason Ormsby and Kevin Curry hit three in reply to keep Snugboro’s amazing winning run going.

Ballyhaunis Town
also picked up three vital points as a last-minute winner from Kieran Mooney secured all three points against Glenhest Rovers. The win moved them three points clear of Swinford in third place as the top goalscorers in the division look like they are hitting form at the right time of the season as they look to pick up that second promotion spot. Andrew Cunnane scored their other goal on Saturday evening as Tommy Page’s side made it four wins in a row.

Conn Rangers eased their relegation fears with their second win in a row as they ran out comfortable 6-0 winners over Bangor Hibs on Saturday evening. Eoin Prendergast (2) and Luke Ruane had them in control early on as they raced into a 3-0 lead early on. They had to wait until the 75th minute to increase their lead but it was worth the wait as Conor Flynn hit an unstoppable freekick into the top right hand corner of the net from 25 yards. Prendergast then completed his hat-trick before Eanna McHale completed the scoring from the penalty spot with the last kick of the game.

The final Premier Division game took place on Sunday where Fahy Rovers picked up a crucial three points against Ballyglass B. Alex O’Rian’s strike was the deciding factor as Fahy moved six points clear of the drop leaving Ballyglass B in deep relegation trouble as we enter the final six games of the season.

Connacht Gold Premier Cup
Castlebar Celtic B progressed to the semi finals of the Connacht Gold Premier Cup with a 6-0 win over an understrength Kilmore side at Celtic Park on Saturday evening. Goals from player/manager Bryan Mannion (2) Dara Singh (2) Michael Maughan and Damien Barry were more than enough for them to join Ballyhaunis Town, Snugboro United and Manulla B in the semi finals.

In the only game in the Killeen Sports Ground League Two Claremorris B missed the chance to overtake Hollister at the top of the table as they drew 2-2 with Ballyvary Blue Bombers.