Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review 1st/2nd July


  • Michael Seoighe gave Partry the lead against Manulla B
  • Ballyglass v Manulla
  • Manulla v Ballyglass
  • Jason Hunt gave Castlebar Celtic the lead against Ballina Town
  • Donal Burke made it 3-0 with a superb diving header
  • Partry Athletic defeated Manulla B 4-0 in League One

It’s as we were at the top of the Elverys Sports Super League after today’s matches as the top two teams both won to stay ahead of Castlebar Celtic in third.

In the early game Castlebar Celtic were up against Ballina Town at Celtic Park as they maintained their unbeaten home record with a 3-1 win over their rivals. Jason Hunt gave Celtic a 1-0 half time lead and Levi Barrett and Colm Nevin added further goals as Conor O’Grady’s side won again to put pressure on Manulla and Westport United who were kicking off later in the day.

Westport United had to come from behind at half time at Green Road as they picked up all three points with a 3-1 win over Straide & Foxford United. After a poor first half performance Westport United turned around the half time deficit as they proved their title credential with their second half goals coming from centre back Austin O’Malley and two from Darren Browne one of which came from the penalty spot.

Michael Keaveaney Park was the venue for another cracking local derby when Manulla ensured they remained top of the table with a narrow 1-0 win over Ballyglass. For long stages of this game it looked like the teams would pick up a point apiece as they did when they met earlier in the season but a late Shane Durkan strike was enough to see his side pick up another crucial win in their bid to win the title for the first time since 1999.

At the other end of the table Glenhest Rovers dealt Achill Rovers survival hopes a huge blow with a 5-2 win in Beltra. After an even first half the sides went in level at the break with John O’Malley on target for Glenhest and Jonny Kiernan finding the net for Achill. After just a minute of the second half Ronan Kilbane put Achill in front but their joy was short lived as David Walsh leveled the scoring for a second time form the penalty spot on 54 minutes. At this stage George Heneghan’s side took over and they hit a further two goals in the next ten minutes through Paul Coady and Shane Loftus. Damien Murray then added a fifth late on as Glenhest moved back out of the relegation zone after Ballyheane’s earlier defeat to Claremorris where Claremorris came out on top with a 4-2 win.

In the CastleCourt Hotel Premier League Iorras Aontaithe and Kiltimagh/Knock United strengthened their grip on the promotion places.

In the lunchtime kick-off Kiltimagh/Knock United moved level on points with Iorras for a few hours with a 2-0 win away to Westport United B. It was a tough assignment for Aiden Flatley’s side and so it proved as they only made the game safe with their second goal in the last few minutes of the game. Stephen Wallace had given them the lead on 11 minutes and it was Wallace who grabbed their second as well to keep his side in the hunt for the title.

Iorras Aontaithe unbeaten league record never looked in threat against Killala as they put in a top class first half performance to lead 5-0 at the break. Diamuid Healy opened the scoring before Brendan Nallen (2), Kyle O’Reilly and Ryan Ruddy added further goals as Iorras moved back in control at the top of the table. Nallen then completed his hat trick on 78 minutes as he grabbed his 11th league goal of the season.

On Saturday evening Bangor Hibs put their recent poor form behind them with a very important 2-1 win over Crossmolina. Crossmolina lead 1-0 at the break but Hibs put in a much better second half performance to take all three points. Mikie Conroy levelled the scoring on 55 minutes before substitute Justin Healy scored his first senior goal for the club on his debut as he tapped in a rebound from a Brian McHale free that was spilled by the Crossmolina keeper.

Only a point separated Conn Rangers and Ballyhaunis before they met on Saturday evening and the gap remained the same after the sides played out a 2-2 draw. Brian Hughes and Lorcan Towey were on target for Rangers and both sides will still feel they have a chance of that second promotion spot if they can put a good run of results together.

Swinford finally picked up their first three points in nearly two months with a 2-0 win over Fahy Rovers and they moved back up to third position in the League thanks to goals from Paddy O’Donnell and David Brady. Fahy Rovers remain rooted to the bottom of the table along with Westport United B and they will need to find their goalscoring boots if they are to get themselves out of trouble for a second season in a row.

In Solar 21 League One Snugboro United are out in front on their own for the first time this season after a 5-1 win over relegation threatened Ballyvary Blue Bombers. Snugboro made it five league wins in a row thanks to goals from Jack O’Shea (2), Jonathon Duffy, Jonathon Walsh and in form striker Norby Karol.

Ballyglass B and Mulranny United have been Snugboro’s main challengers at the top of the table and the two sides met at Curraun on Sunday morning with both sides having to be content with a share of the spoils after a 2-2 draw. The result leaves Ballyglass two points behind Snugboro while Mulranny now find themselves a further six points behind as their promotion bid has taken a few setbacks over the past few weeks.

Partry Athletic reached the final of the Tonra Cup last weekend with a 7-1 win over Conn Rangers B and they continued from where they left off in that game with a 4-0 win over Manulla B. All the goals came in the first half as Michael Seoighe, Ciaran Hennelly, Donal Burke and Marty Morrin were on target and they kept Manulla at bay in the second half with a strong defensive performance.

Two goals form Luke Ruane wasn't enough to see Conn Rangers B pick up their first points of the season as Ballina Town B secured a crucial 3-2 win over their near neighbours in Belleek. The win moves Ballina three points clear of the relegation zone as we move into the last third of the season.

In the Killeen Sports Ground League Two Castlebar Celtic B moved a step closer to promotion with a 3-2 win away to Hollister. Celtic B are on a great run of form and this continued on Sunday afternoon as Imoh Atai, Nicky Canny and Brian Mannion got the goals that kept them four points clear at the top of the table.

Sean Brogan hit his third hat-trick of the season as Kilmore kept the pressure on Celtic B with a comprehensive 9-2 win over Kiltimagh/Knock United B. Kilmore are having no problems finding the target with their other goals coming from Terence Lavelle (2), Ryan Keane (2), Damien Barrett and Gerard McDonnell.