Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review - 15th/16th September


  • Ballyhaunis Town
  • Castlebar Celtic v Manulla - 15/09/2018
  • Ballina Town v Westport United - 15/09/2018
  • Ballina Town v Westport United - 15/09/2018
  • Ballina Town v Westport United - 15/09/2018

Ballyhunis Town seal promotion to the Super League with a win over Snugboro United while the battle to avoid relegation between Ballyhenae and Kiltimagh/Knock Unietd will go down to the final day

Elverys Sprts Super League

Ballyglass made it three wins from four and moved level on points with Straide & Foxford United as they had a 4-0 win over the North Mayo side on Saturday evening. Jp O’Gorman put them in front in the first half as he pounced on a mistake in the Straide & Foxford defence. O’Gorman doubled their lead before half time as his fierce shot beat the keeper at the near post. O’Gorman then turned provider as his neat flick allowed Evan Connolly to make it three. O’Gorman then completed his hat-trick as he calmly finished under the keeper after he found himself in a one on one situation. 

Benny Lavelle’s late double ensured Ballina Town maintained their winning run with a 3-2 victory over second placed Westport United. Westport went in ahead at the break as Mark McDonagh gave them the lead with a brilliant finish from 25 yards that left Mark Duffy with no chance as it nestled in the bottom left hand corner of the net. Ballina had to wait until the 65th minute to eqaulise as Jamie Cawley finished off a well worked goal that started with keeper Mark Duffy. Brandon Scahill then put Westport back in front as he held off two defenders before placing the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net. Benny Lavelle levelled the scores for a second time when he bundled the ball home after his first effort was well saved by Gary Cunningham in the Westport goal. Lavelle then put Ballina in front for the first time as he hit the winning goal with minutes remaining. Lavelle finished neatly at the back post after getting on the end of a cross from Dylan Edwards to seal the three points for Mick Duffy’s side.

Castlebar Celtic moved to within three points of Westport United in second place with a 5-2 win over Manulla in Celtic Park. Liam Flatley and Corey Scahill had them 3-0 in front at the break before Manulla pulled a goal back early in the second half. Flatley then marked his return to the side as he completed his hat-trick with the goal of the game. Manulla then made it 4-2 before Ger O’Boyle continued his recent scoring run by making sure of the points late on.

On Sunday afternoon Ballyheane went level on points with Kiltimagh/Knock United at the bottom end of the table with a 7-0 win over Iorras Aontaithe. The two now sides meet on the final day of the season in Pat Quigley Park in a winner takes all situation as the losing side will be relegated to the Premier Division. Imoh Atoi put them in-front after ten minutes when he headed home at the back post after a long throw in wasn’t dealt with by the Iorras defence. Paddy Bourke then made it two nil shortly after as he pounced on another error by an Iorras defender. Bourke then made it 3-0 as he headed home a cross from Atoi. Sean Kilcoyne added a fourth as he headed home a freekick from Jack Tuffy. The second half was more of the same as Ballyheane added three further goals. Ben Edeh made it 5-0 as he finished at the second attempt after Atoi sent him clear on goal. Ballyheane then missed a penalty before Bourke completed his hat-trick as he scored from the penalty spot minutes later. Ben Edeh then finished off the scoring as he tapped the ball finished to an empty net after some good play down the right-hand side.

Kiltimagh/Knock United will play Ballheane in a last day relegation battle after they lost 2-1 to Claremorris on Sunday afternoon. Claremorris took an early lead as Harvey O’Brien powered a header home from a corner. They then went further ahead when Brandon Walsh found Danny Broderick in space down the right wing and the inform striker scored his twenty goal of the season in all competitions as he finished expertly with the outside of his left foot as his quickfire shot cannoned in off the crossbar. Kiltimagh/Knock pulled a goal back through Stephen Collins before the break but Aiden Flatley’s side were unable to find an equaliser in the second half as the relegation fight now goes to the final day of the season. The win keeps Claremorris in contention for second place.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier League
Ballyhaunis Town
will be playing Super League football next season after they confirmed their promotion in style with a 5-0 win over league leaders Snugboro United. They took an early lead when Kieran Mooney finished at the back post from a Gary Higgins cross after some good work down the right wing by Jarlath Carney. They doubled their lead shortly after when Cathal Carney’s brilliant cross from the right wing was guided home by Jamil Kezze to leave them in control at half-time. Ballyhaunis kept up the pressure in the second half and went 3-0 in front when Gary Higgins calmly slotted home a penalty after a handball in the box. Higgins then turned provider as he set up substitute Andy Cunnane who made it 4-0 with a lovely finish under Aaron Curry in the Snugboro goal. Higgins rounded off the scoring has he scored his second penalty finding the bottom left hand corner for a second time after Kieran Mooney had been fouled in the box. Ballyhaunis were fully deserving of their win and three points moves them to within a point of Snugboro with only one game remaining. The two sides will meet again before that final round of games when they clash in the Connacht Gold Premier Cup Final on the 7th of October.

Swinford promotion hopes ended on Sunday morning even though they came away with the three points from Ballybeg Park with a 5-3 win over Bangor Hibs. Swinford were well in control at the break as they went in 4-0 up thanks to two goals from Darragh Price and strikes from Chris Reddington and Joe Slevin. At this stage Hibs looked out of the game but the arrival of Mikie Sweeney for the second half changed the flow of the game. Sweeney made an instant impact as he pulled a goal back ten minutes into the second half. Kyle Holmes then added a second to reduce the deficit even further. Hibs had further chances to add a third, but Gavin Moore made a couple of crucial saves in the Swinford goal. Donal Connolly finally made it 4-3 as he curled home a brilliant third goal but Swinford made sure of the points as Martin Murphy headed home with the last attack of the game.
Conn Rangers
are now mathematically safe as they picked up their second win in a week with a 9-0 win over Achill Rovers in Fr. O’Brien Park. Jason Farrell hit a hat trick with the other goals coming from Liam Durkan (2), Lee Traynor, Ben Stowe, Noel Butler and Eoin Prendergast.

Glenhest Rovers ended Ballyglass B's survival chances as they ran out 7-0 winners in Beltra on Sunday morning. Chris Rowland and Matthew Redmond bot struck twice with the other goals coming from Cathal Chambers, Declan McManamon and Kevin Warde.

Fahy Rovers have had a superb end to the season as they’ve collected thirteen points from eighteen after a 3-0 win over Westport United B earlier today. The goals came from Simon Duffy, Gavin Walmsley and Pavel Wisniewski and they can now look forward to their final game of the season against Achill Rovers which is due to be their first game on their new pitch in Fahy which will be officially opened on Saturday next.