Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review 15th/16th July


  • Kiltimagh/Knock United - Tuohy Cup Champions 2017
  • Castlebar Celtic B - McDonnell Cup Winners 2017
  • Stephen McDonnell presents the Tuohy Cup to Kiltimagh/Knock United
  • Kiltimagh/Knock Utd's Stephen Wallace was named the man of the match.
  • Crossmolina - Tuohy Cup Finalists 2017
  • Castlebar Celtic Captain Cillian McNeela is presented with the MCDonnell Cup
  • Adam McGowan - Man of the Match in McDonnell Cup Final 2017
  • Kimore - McDonnell Cup Finalists 2017

Kiltimagh/Knock United and Castlebar Celtic B win their respective Divisional Cup titles as Snugboro United clinch promotion to the Premier League.

A late goal in extra time from player/manager Bryan Mannion was the difference between Castlebar Celtic B and Kilmore in the McDonnell Cup Final on Saturday evening. In a pretty even game it was Celtic that played slightly the better football but they could not find a way past the excellent Liam Keane in the Kilmore goal until substitute Mannion struck the winner with two minutes remaining in extra time. Celtic had most of the ball during the game but Kilmore always looked dangerous on the break with Sean Brogan looking like the most likely to break the deadlock for the North Mayo side. Celtic had some strong performances from Imoh Atoi, Patrick Harkins and from man of the match Adam McGowan as they just about did enough to claim their first piece of silverware for the season.

The Tuohy Cup was also settled by a goal from a substitute as Andy Leadbetter came off the bench to score the winner for Kiltimagh/Knock United in their 1-0 win over Crossmolina. Kiltimagh/Knock played almost an hour of the game with 10 men after goalkeeper Sean Murtagh was shown a straight red card when he made a desperate last man challenge just outside the area to stop Fionan Duffy from opening the scoring. Crossmolina never really took advantage of having the extra man and it was Kiltimagh/Knock who created the better chances with Brendan Burke going the closest when he rattled the crossbar after he connected brilliantly with a cross from Leadbetter. The winning goal arrived just after the hour mark when Leadbetter capitalised on a mix up in the defence as he clipped the ball past Morgan O'Malley in the Crossmolina goal after a weak headed back pass fell just short of its destination. Crossmolina left it very late to create a decent chance or two but Kiltimagh/Knock held on despite being reduced to nine men as the game entered injury time.

Elverys Sports Super League

Westport United maintained their narrow lead at the top of the Super League with a hard fought 2-1 win over Ballyglass in Michael Keaveney Park on Saturday evening. Phil Keegan had the visitors in front at the break before the in-form Darren Browne made it 2-0 midway through the second half. Ballyglass made it a tense final few minutes when Jp O’Gorman halved the deficit from the penalty spot in the 86th minute but Westport were not to be denied as they held on to grab a crucial win.

Manulla got their title challenge back on track with an impressive 4-2 win over Ballina Town. Manulla went in 2-0 up at the break after Declan Tonra and Anthony Elding were on target with two quick goals shortly after the half hour mark. Ballina pulled a goal back midway through the second half but Lee Lyons made it 3-1 shortly after. At this stage it looked like Manulla had the three points in the bag but Ballina showed their fighting qualities to make it 3-2 before Manulla finally put the game to bed when Chris Maughan stuck their fourth goal and they remain a point behind Westport United at the top of the table.

After the results on Sunday morning the relegation battle looks much clearer as Glenhest Rovers caused the shock of the day with a 5-0 win away to Claremorris. Kevin Warde was the star of the show for George Henaghan’s men as he struck four goals in a dominant display by the away side. Pat Mulchrone was also on target as Glenhest moved five points clear of the drop.

The result in Claremorris meant Ballyheane really needed to pick up a win against Straide & Foxford United at Green Road but the task proved too much for the away side as once again they came out on the wrong end of the scoreline as the game finished 4-3 to Paul Large’s side.

Solar 21 League One

Snugboro United became the first side to be promoted this season as they continued their fine run of results with a 4-2 victory against Manulla B. Johnny Walsh hit a first half hat trick before Alan Lyons added a fourth ten minutes into the second half. Manulla B to their credit fought back and halved the deficit with two late goals but that was as close as they got as Snugboro picked up their 10th win form 11 games to ensure they would be playing Premier League football next season.

At the other end of the table Ballyvary Blue Bombers are now level on points with Ballina Town B in a fight to avoid relegation after they came away with a 2-0 win in Belleek earlier today. 

In the other two games in League One Ballyglass B put themselves in prime position as they moved seven points clear of Manulla B in the race for second spot with a convincing 10-0 win over Conn Rangers B while Mulranny United and Partry Athletic played out an entertaining 3-3 draw in Curraun on Saturday evening.