Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review - 14th/15th April


  • Manulla 2 v 1 Westport United - Westaro Cup
  • Ballina Town 2 v 0 Ballyheane Westaro Cup
  • Manulla 2 v 1 Westport United - Westaro Cup
  • Ballina Town 2 v 0 Ballyheane Westaro Cup
  • Gerry Canavan celebrates scoring in the Westaro Cup

Manulla, Straide & Foxford Utd, Castlebar Celtic, Ballina Town and Ballyglass advance in the Westaro Cup as their was some high scoring games as the League action continued across the other 3 Division

In the Westaro Cup the tie of the round didn’t disappoint as Manulla knocked Westport United out for the second year in a row with a 2-1 win after extra time thanks to two goals from Gerry Canavan. After a first half with very little to report Canavan gave Manulla the lead on 65 minutes as he hit a first time shot from the edge of the area found the bottom right hand corner of the net after Westport failed to clear a corner. Manulla looked to have done enough as we entered the final minutes, but Westport equalised when Darren Browne capitalised as Manulla failed to clear a long throw in and Browne finished expertly on the half volley to send the game to extra time. Just when it looked like the tie would have to be settled by penalties Manulla found the winner as Canavan made it 2-1 with a fortuitous goal as his blocked clearance looped over Danny Fadden and into the net to send Connie Morrissey’s side into the next round.

Just like on the opening day of the season Straide & Foxford United came out the right side of a five-goal thriller against Iorras Aontaithe as they made it through to the next round by three goals to two. Simon Helly had them in front after just five minutes following some good work down the wing by Johnnie Cocozza before Brendan Nallen leveled maters as he headed home a Tom McAndrew free kick. Straide and Foxford were back in front minutes before half time when centre back Ashley Atkinson scored for the second game in a row and Stephen Moyles added a third on sixty-five minutes when his shot took a big deflection and looped over the Iorras keeper and into the net. Iorras did make S&F work for the win as they made it 3-2 on eighty minutes when they scored direct from a corner when McAndrew’s effort went straight in with the aid of the strong breeze, but Paul Large’s side held out to make it four wins from four this season.

Ballina Town maintained their good start to the season with a 2-0 win over Ballyheane at Belleek. Mick Duffy made a number of changes to his starting eleven and they were a goal to the good at the break as Ballyheane scored in their own net and Jamie Cawley made sure that the Town progressed to the next round with their second of the game in the second half.

Kiltimagh/Knock United looked like they were able to deal with taking on one of the top Super League sides as they went in level at the break but Castlebar Celtic showed that they will have to improve quickly if they are to compete against the best teams as they put five past them in the second half to complete a 6-1 victory. Gary Concannon got Celtic’s opening goal on his return to first team action but it was an inform Liam Flatley that would prove the difference after the break as he hit four second half goals that included two spot kicks. Jose Navarro added a sixth as Celtic ran out comfortable winners and moved a step closer to retaining the Westaro Cup.

Claremorris came within ten minutes of completing a brilliant comeback as they came form 2-0 down to take the lead but Ballyglass battled back to force extra time before Jp O’Gorman settled the tie to send Tom Connolly’s side into the next round. Conor Maloney and Jp O’Gorman got those two opening goals for Ballyglass as they went in 2-0 up at the break but Claremorris hit back and within twenty minutes they found themselves in front but Ballyglass took the game to extra time as Conor Heneghan leveled the tie with ten minutes remaining. After a goalless first half it was O’Gorman that settled the tie as he struck his second of the day to finally kill off the challenge of Mark Peter’s side.

In the CastleCourt Hotel Premier Division Swinford were brought crashing down to earth after reaching the Connacht Shield Final last weekend as Snugboro United held out for a 2-1 win mainly thanks to stand in goalkeeper Aaron Curry. Snugboro were 2-0 in front at the break as the ever-reliable Sean Curry scored both goals but Swinford hit back in the second half through Paddy O’Donnell. Player Manager Aaron Curry then produced some outstanding saves as Swinford looked to come away with a point but Curry and Snugboro kept them at bay to secure their second win of the season.

Fahy Rovers and Ballyglass B had to settle for a share of the spoils in Solar 21 Park on Saturday evening as they played out a very entertaining 1-1 draw. Gareth Jordan was on target for Fahy while Dylan Hughes ensured Ray Prendergast’s side picked up their first point of the season with a well taken goal.

On Sunday morning Achill Rovers picked up their second win of the season with a 4-2 win away to Westport United B. Martin Fadian’s side were 2-0 up inside the first fifteen minutes as Kevin Lynch and Mark Davitt got them of to the perfect start. It remained this way until just after the hour mark when Mayo U18 player Dean Guthrie added what looked like the goal that ended the tie as a contest, but Westport fought back to make it 3-1 minutes later through Darren Gannon. Achill did then more or ensure they would pick up the three points when Chris Western got their fourth goal on seventy-five minutes and Westport completed the scoring as Mark McNally got the final goal of the game with just minutes remaining.

The top two sides in the Premier League clashed on Sunday afternoon and it was Glenhest Rovers that ended Ballyhaunis Town’s perfect start to the season with a 2-1 win. It was Glenhest front-man Kevin Warde that stole the show as he struck twice to send his side to the top of the table. Kieran Mooney hit the lone reply for Ballyhaunis Town.

In the Three Store League One Crossmolina picked up their second big win in a week as they defeated Castlebar Celtic B 4-1 at Celtic Park. Shane Hennigan put them ahead with the goal of the game on ten minutes when his tremendous strike from 35 yards found the back of the Celtic net. Crossmolina were 2-0 up seven minutes later when Khalafalla Khalafalla beat the offside trap to side foot home from eight yards as Derek Grehem’s side took full control of the game. Celtic did have a chance to half the deficit just before half time when they were awarded a penalty but player manager Bryan Mannion’s spot kick went just wide. The next goal was always going to be crucial and it was Hennigan that provided it on 73 minutes when his 25-yard free kick bounced in off the Celtic keeper. Crossmolina added a fourth on 80 minutes when Khalafalla Khalafalla got his second of the game before Celtic pulled a goal back on 87 minutes.

Manulla B continued their perfect start to the season as they battled back against Ballina Town B to win by the odd goal in seven in a exciting early morning encounter in Belleek. Shane Devers and Dale Hopkins put Ballina two nil up but before long Manulla were back in the game thanks to MJ Canavan and Lorcan Conroy. Ballina were back in front thanks to Darragh Quinn before the hour mark but Mossy Lally’s side fought back again as the ever reliable Shane Durkan brought the sides level once again with fifteen minutes remaining and then Mark Mongan struck the winner as the game entered the last five minutes.

Partry Athletic made the long journey to Drum to take on Kilmore and will be content to come away with a point as the game finished 2-2 in tough conditions on Sunday afternoon. The Kilmore goals came from Sean Brogan and recent signing Thomas McGonigle while a Mark Gibbons penalty and a strike from Keith Lavelle ensured Neil Donnelly’s side took a share of the spoils.

In the Killeen Sports Ground League Two Hollister continued their impressive start to the season with a hard fought 3-2 win over Newport Burrishoole at Belleek on Saturday evening as all five goals came in a thrilling second half.
Shane McKee opened the scoring for Hollister from the spot after a hand ball in the Newport Burrishoole box but five minutes later it was all square, when Niall Malarkey converted a Newport Burrishoole penalty for a similar offence.
Hollister began to dominate in the centre of the park with Eamon Kenny pulling the strings, and they took a well deserved lead with Malachy McCarron powering home header from a well delivered corner.
Jamie Forde looked to have made the game safe on 75 minutes with a great strike from outside the box, but a never say die Newport Burrishoole made it 3-2 with a well worked goal finished off by Stephen Barrett on 85 mins.
Hollister held out for a deserved win, but Newport Burrishoole will take heart from a solid performance from their mixture of experience and youth.

In the other game in League Two Ballyvary Blue Bombers picked up their first point of the season as they played out a goalless draw with Claremorris B.