Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Weekend Review 12th/13th August


Snugboro United - Solar 21 League Champions 2017

Snugboro United are Solar 21 League One Champions as Iorras Aontaithe and Castlebar Celtic B close in on their respective league titles.

In the Elverys Sports Super League it’s as we were at both the top of the table as Westport United continued their excellent winning streak as they made it eight wins in a row with a 3-1 win over Ballyheane. Phil Keegan had the Covies in front after just 16 seconds and Darren Browne made it 2-0 before half time. Ballyheane did pull a goal back before Peter Corcoran made the points safe for John Brennan’s side with his side’s third goal.

Manulla stayed within three points of the leaders with a convincing 5-0 win over Achill Rovers. Recent signing Jesse Devers hit the ground running with four goals while Andrew Shally was also on target as Manulla ensured they remain in the title race with three games remaining.

Castlebar Celtic are now a further five points behind Manulla after their 3-3 draw with Claremorris on Saturday evening. Celtic now look destined to finish in third position as Claremorris refused to be beaten in a thrilling game at Celtic Park. Gary Concannon had Celtic two goals up before Claremorris pulled one back through an unfortunate own goal. Derek Glynn levelled the scoring with a superb long range shot before Concannon completed his hat trick to put Celtic back in front. The scoring was complete when Dean Roddy tied things up from the spot as Claremorris again showed they are a match for any side on their day.

Glenhest Rovers are still searching for the win that should see them remain in the Super League for another season as they suffered a heavy 5-1 defeat at Straide & Foxford United. Straide & Foxford are aiming to finish in 4th position and they remain on course to make this a reality thanks to goals from Paul Moran, John Durkan, Chris Downey, Stephen Moyles and Johnny Cocozza.

Ballina Town are finally safe from any chance of relegation after they defeated Ballyglass by four goals to one on Sunday. The Town’s goals came courtesy of Jamie Cawley, Dylan McKee, Benny Lavelle and Luke Honan.

In the CastleCourt Hotel Premier League Kiltimagh/Knock United moved a step closer to promotion to the Super League with a 3-0 win away to Bangor Hibs. Joey Loughran opened the scoring on thirty five minutes with a stunning long range strike and the away side put the game beyond doubt with two quick goals just after the half-time break. Aiden Flatley’s side now just need one more win to complete their goal for the season and following this win it looks like it’s only a matter of time before they get that win.

Swinford continued their up and down form with a 4-0 defeat away to Killala who put on a brilliant display that moved them level with Bangor Hibs at the bottom of the table. A hat-trick from Kyle McLouglin and another strike from David Cadden has given Killala a real shout at avoiding the drop thanks to their excellent home form where they have picked up all but four of their sixteen league points.

Fahy Rovers have now put together a four game unbeaten run just a t the right time as they defeated Crossmolina by three goals to nil in another relegation six pointer. Darren Creaby, John Keane and Patrick O’Connell were all on target in what could prove to be a crucial three points for Rovers come the end of the season.

Iorras Aontaithe are now just one point away from winning the Premier League title following a 5-2 win over Ballyhaunis Town earlier today. Brendan Nallen put Iorras in front with a well struck free kick before Jason Boylan made it two from the penalty spot. In the second half they added three further goals through David Reilly (another penalty) and substitutes Aaron Reilly and Kyle O’Reilly. The Ballyhaunis goals came from Shane Crinnigan and Robert McCormack.

Snugboro United were crowned Solar 21 League One champions following their 5-0 win over Mulranny United on Sunday morning.  Snugboro have now completed a league and cup double and Declan Lavelle’s side will fancy their chances in the Premier League next season.

Ballyglass B were Snugboro’s closest rivals but their 3-2 defeat away to Ballina Town B on Saturday evening presented Snugboro with their chance to lift the cup on Sunday morning. This result also had huge implications at the other end of the table as Ballina Town B remain level on points with Ballyvary Blue Bombers with just one game remaining.

Ballyvary have also given themselves a chance of remaining in League One thanks to a thrilling 4-3 win over local rivals Manulla B. They remain level on points with Ballina Town B and with the Town facing champions Snugboro in their final game Ballyvary will hope they can better their result in their final game away to Partry Athletic.

Partry are ending the season in fine form and they had another win on Saturday evening when they defeated Conn Rangers B 4-2 in Mount Falcon. Stephen Heneghan and a Mark Gibbons double had Partry in control at the break before Conn Rangers came back to make it 3-2 before Ciaran Hennelly made sure of the points for Partry with the final goal of the game.

In the Killeen Sports Ground League Two Kilmore took a giant step towards promotion on their return to League football with a 2-0 win over Hollister that moved them back above Vinny Coen’s side into the second promotion position. Sean Brogan opened the scoring for the home side before Andy Howard made sure of the points with a well struck shot from outside the box.

The result in Kilmore was also a good result for Castlebar Celtic B as they will now clinch the League Title with a win over Kiltimagh/Knock United B in two weeks time.

In the final game in League Two Kiltimagh/Knock United B are still searching for their first win of the season following a 8-0 defeat away to Newport Town.