Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Review of Sunday's Action


Fahy Rovers before their first ever home game in Fahy

The Connacht Junior Cup kicked off this weekend while Bangor Hibs beat Glenhest in the Premier Division and Straide & Foxford United progressed to the next round of the FAI Junior Cup

TP Brennan Connacht Cup

It was a mixed weekend for the Mayo League sides in the opening round of the TP Brennan Connacht Junior Cup. Five sides made it through to the next Round with Snugboro United and Ballina Town B getting walkovers. Partry Athletic beat Roscommon’s Castlerea Celtic B in an entertaining game that ended 7-4 to the East Mayo side. Killala travelled to Sligo side Gurteen Celtic and came way with an impressive 6-1 win while Conn Rangers were the other Mayo League side to progress with a 2-1 win away to Roscommon side Cam Celtic

Three other Mayo sides exited the competition including Fahy Rovers who were playing their first official game at their new pitch in Fahy. They were unlucky to lose by a solitary goal to Galway side Cois Fharraige. Crossmolina lost 3-2 to Knocknacarra while Ballyglass B were on the wrong end of a 4-2 score line against Galway’s Maree/Oranmore B.

CastleCourt Hotel Premier Division

In the only league game taking place this weekend Bangor Hibs recorded a 3-0 win over Glenhest Rovers in the Premier Division. In an even first half Hibs went in ahead at the break as the ever-dangerous Tommy Conroy finished of a good move with a shot from just inside the area. Hibs dominated the second half and doubled their lead on sixty-five minutes when Kieran Gallagher finished to an empty net after a mistake by the Glenhest goalkeeper. Hibs wrapped up the points when substitute Aaron Worth scored the goal of the game as he lobbed the keeper after he got on the end of a brilliant ball over the top by Michael Doocey.

New Balance FAI Junior Cup
Straide & Foxford United progressed to Round 3 of the FAI Junior Cup with a 5-2 win over Achill Rovers in Fr. O’Brien Park. Straide & Foxford led 3-0 at the break and added another on 53 minutes before Achill scored twice in the space of five minutes late on to half the deficit thanks to goals from Keith McGinty and Sean McNamara. Straide then finished of the scoring as they scored their fifth a minute from full time.