Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Opening Weekend Review


  • Mark Birrane in action v Manulla 25/03/18
  • Gerry Hunt in action v Claremorris
  • Iorras Aontaithe v Straide & Foxford United 25/03/18
  • Straide & Foxford United 3-2 winners v Iorras Aontaithe
  • Ballina Town 4 v 0 Manulla 25/03/18
  • Castlebar Celtic 4 v 1 Claremorris
  • Ballina Town Squad - 4-0 winners v Manulla 25/03/18
  • Castlebar Celtic 4 v 1 Claremorris
  • Ballina Town 4 v 0 Manulla 25/03/18

It was an eventful opening day in the Super League with wins for Westport United, Castlebar Celtic, Ballina Town and Straide & Foxford United.

In the Elverys Sports Super League Castlebar Celtic hosted Claremorris in the early game of the day. It didn’t take Celtic long to put their mark on the game as Liam Flatley scored twice within the first fifteen minutes. Claremorris to their credit showed great determination and just after half time they got themselves back into the game with a goal from Hubert Kowalski whose long range cross from 45 yards deceived Mark Benson in the Celtic goal and landed in the top left corner of the net. Celtic have proven very hard to beat recently especially at home and the extra quality in their side came to the fore as Flatley completed his hat-trick before Ger O’Boyle added a fourth goal minutes later to seal the three points for Michael McNicholas side.

Iorras Aontaithe found themselves on the wrong end of a five goal thriller on their return to the Super League as Straide & Foxford United came away with the three points thanks to a late winner from hat-trick hero Michael Guilfoyle. Guilfoyle gave the visitors the lead on twenty-five minutes but Iorras were back on level terms five minutes later when Pete McArtur found the net after some good work by Kyle O’Reilly and Tom McAndrew. Minutes before the break Iorras went in front as Ryan Ruddy converted from the penalty spot. Guilfoyle struck his second of the day to bring the sides level five minutes after the break and it was Guilfoyle that proved the difference between the two sides as he hit the winner just minutes before the final whistle to seal the three points for the men in orange and black.

Westport United also needed a late winner as they got their title defence off to the perfect start with a 2-1 win in Ballyglass. Westport took the lead inside the first fifteen minutes when Darren Browne got on the end of a freekick and his goal-bound shot was turned into the net by Peter Corcoran after Niall Gallagher took the sting out of the original effort. Ballyglass are always tough to beat at home and they went in level at the break thanks to a goal from first half substitute Liam Hughes after a mix up in the Westport defence. John Russell’s side were determined to pick up the three points but they had to wait until the 88 minute to find a winner as Jack Murphy played a perfectly weighted through ball into the space behind the Ballyglass defence and Brandon Scahill latched onto the pass to calmly place the ball into the back of the net.

In the final Super League game Ballina Town were 4-0 winners over Manulla as Mick Duffy’s young side proved much to strong for last years runners up. Goals from Duane Helly, Brendan Lavelle and Dylan McKee had the Town 3-0 up at the break before Jamie Cawley added a fourth right at the end and this was more than enough to see the Town pick up their first three points of the season.

There was also plenty of goals in the CastleCourt Hotel Premier Division with Swinford, Glenhest Rovers, Ballyhaunis Town & Snugboro United all getting wins on the opening day.

Swinford had to come from behind but they got their season of to a flyer with a 5-2 win over Ballyglass B. A hat trick from Niall Price and further goals from Joe Slevin and youngster Martin Murphy gave the home side the victory as they continued their good run of form that has seen them get to the semi finals of the Connacht Shield. Price had Swinford in front early in the game before Dean Shaughnessy levelled matters just before the break. Richie Dalton put Ballyglass in front somewhat against the run of play early in the second half but Swinford didn’t take too long to get back into the game as Price got his second and third goals of the game before Slevin and Murphy sealed the three points for Liam Foy’s side.

Glenhest Rovers are one of the favourites to make an instant return to the Super League and thanks to two first half goals from midfielder John O’Malley they secured a 2-0 win over Conn Rangers in a tight affair in Beltra

Snugboro United are on the hunt for a third successive promotion and if they continue to play like they did in their opening game of the season against Westport United B you wouldn’t bet against them challenging at the top of the table in a few months’ time. Another opening day hat trick was the difference between the sides as Nobert Karol grabbed all three goals in the first half to get Aaron Curry’s side of the mark for the 2018 season. Colin McDonnell was on target for Westport.

In the late game in the Premier League Ballyhaunis Town were much too strong for a new look Bangor Hibs side as they recorded a resounding 5-1 win. Keith Robinson had them in front midway through the first half before he missed the chance to double the lead from the penalty spot after he was taken down just inside the area. Bangor struggled to get into the game before the break, but they did make a game of it in the second half as Brian McHale curled a free kick into the top corner on the hour mark. This was as good as it got for Hibs though as Ballyhaunis hit four further goals in the last twenty minutes through Stephen Nolan, Dayo Adex, Hamood Althobhaney and an unfortunate own goal from a Hibs defender to run out easy winners in the end.