Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Oliver Kelleher Masters Cup Review


Kiltimagh/Knock United Masters League Team

Straide & Foxford United, Kiltimagh Knock United, Castlebar Celtic, Swinford ‘A’ and Manulla ‘A’ are through to the quarter finals of the Oliver Kelleher Masters Cup

The night’s opening game between Straide & Foxford and Westport United was called off as Westport were unable to field a team, meaning the East Mayo side went through to the last eight.

The first game on the pitch saw Kiltimagh Knock United overcome the game challenge of Mulranny United 6-3. Kiltimagh were made to work hard for the win by a Mulranny side determined to go out with a good performance. Mulranny were just one goal behind at the break but a quickfire double in the second-half from Kieran Jennings and Jerome Hunt put Kiltimagh on their way to victory. Hunt, a Colm Kelly double and three for Jennings saw them pick up the victory. Thomas Conway, Martin Moran and Michael O’Hara hit the goals for Mulranny.

Castlebar Celtic were the next side through to the last eight as they overcame Ballyhaunis Town 8-2. The East Mayo side began the game in lightning fashion, running into a 2-0 lead inside ten minutes. However, it was all Celtic from that point on as they sent out a statement of intent by grabbing the next eight goals. Bryan Mannion & Russell Gibbons grabbed hat-tricks with Kevin Malone and a returning Mark Rowland hitting a goal each. A.P. Kelly and John Guilfoyle had given Ballyhaunis a dream start.

Swinford ‘A’ also reached the quarter finals but not without weathering a first-half fight from fellow division two side Manulla ‘B’. The East Mayo side eventually coming through 9-4. Scoring was slow in the opening period with both defences and goalkeepers putting in good performances but Swinford eventually ran away with the game in the second-half. Paul Halligan, Eoin Gallagher and Piotr Slabik all grabbed two goals while Robert Walsh hit a hat-trick. Alan Rumley, Adrian Heneghan and  Keith Bourke double with the goals for Manulla ‘B’.

In the night’s final game Manulla ‘A’ overcame Fahy Rovers 8-2. Fahy put in a good first-half performance, even taking the lead in the early stages through Bobby Durkan. Durkan’s second goal had the sides level at 2-2 coming up to the half-time break before goals from Roger Clarke and John Kelly handed control of the tie to Manulla. The boys in blue warmed up for their division one playoff with Ballina Town with a commanding second-half performance to run out easy winners. Gerry Jennings, Des Campbell and two each for Kelly, Clarke and David Sheridan secured the win.