Mayo Football League
Mayo Football League - Logo
News Report

Divisional Cup Semi Finals Review


Castlebar Celtic v Achill Rovers

Castlebar Celtic and Manulla to meet in the Westaro Cup Final as this weekend's divisional cup semi finals fail to throw up any major surprises.

In the Westaro Cup Castlebar Celtic were the first side into the final with a good 5-2 win over Achill Rovers on Saturday evening. It didn’t take Celtic long to open the scoring as Levi Barrett was on target inside twenty seconds. Achill to their credit didn’t let this early goal upset their game plan but Celtic superiority told further as Daniel O’Toole hit a quickfire double with goals in the 39th and 42nd minutes before Achill pulled one back to leave Celtic 3-1 in front at the break. It didn’t take Celtic long to put the game beyond doubt as O’Toole grabbed his hat trick and Anthony Johnson got their fifth minutes later. Achill did pull another goal back but there was to be no denying Conor O’Grady’s side as they booked their place in the final.

After the second semi final holders Manulla are through to their third successive Westaro Cup final after a 5-2 win over Glenhest Rovers.  It was always going to be a tough ask for George Heneghan’s side and so it proved as the league leaders Manulla marched into the final where they will meet a much tougher test against Castlebar Celtic.

Touhy Cup holders Swinford travelled to Abbeyview on Saturday evening to take on Crossmolina but it was Derek Grehem’s men that continued their good recent form at home as they reached the Touhy Cup Final with a 2-0 win. After a pretty even first half Crossmolina were given the chance to open the scoring form the penalty spot and Kevin Campbell made no mistake as he gave his side the lead. With just under ten minutes to go Crossmolina striker Shane McKinley put the result beyond doubt as he made it 2-0 and ensured his side would be playing in the final in Solar 21 Park in mid July.

In the second semi final Kiltimagh/Knock United were slight favourites when their near neighbours Ballyhaunis Town were the visitors at CMS Park but it turned out to be far from a close contest as Kiltimagh/Knock ran out 4-0 winners. The Kiltimagh/Knock goals came courtesy of Simon Jordan, Colm Kelly, Gavin Groarke and Mathew Leadbetter. Kiltimagh/Knock were runners up to Swinford in last year’s Touhy Cup Final so they will now be hoping to go one better when they take on Crossmolina on the weekend of the 15th/16th of July.

In the Tonra Cup Partry Athletic had a comfortable 7-0 win over Conn Rangers B on Saturday evening. At half time Partry were 4-0 up after goals by Micahael Lally (2), Micheal Seoighe and Nathan Delaney. They added a further three goals as  Michael Lally  completed his hat-trick and substitute Ronan Bourke and a second from Nathan Delaney wrapped up the scoring for Partry. 

Ballina Town B came close to an upset when Snugboro United were the visitors to Belleek. In what was probably the most entertaining game of the weekend Ballina were within minutes of knocking out the league leaders. After quite a dull first half Snugboro took the lead three minutes into the second half through Norby Karol but Ballina hit back and equalised in the 60th minute before taking the lead with ten minutes remaining.  Snugboro showed why they are at the top of the table as they scored twice in the final ten minutes to take a 3-2 lead before Ballina equalised again in the 95th minute to take the game to extra time. Snugboro though were not to be denied and they got the winner in extra time and they will be firm favourites for the final when it comes around in four weeks time.

The top two sides in League Two will contest the McDonnell Cup final as Castlebar Celtic B and Kilmore made it through to the decider. Castlebar Celtic B overcame a strong challenge from Newport Town as they came through on a 2-1 scoreline. Two early first half goals from Brian Mannion and Nicky Canning were enough to see the Hoops over the line even though Newport did make it an interesting finish to the came with a goal in the 74th minute from JJ O’Grady.

Kilmore made it three wins out of four against Hollister this season as they were just too strong for the Ballina based side in Drum on Saturday evening. Kilmore playing into the breeze in the first half were 3-0 up at the break and it was 4-0 shortly after before Hollister did get on the scoresheet as Danny Langdon and Malachy McCarron hit two goals in the last ten minutes before Kilmore wrapped up the scoring in the dying minutes. The Kilmore goals came from Sean Brogan (3), Terence Lavelle and Ryan Keane.